pci sxpansion

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

erminardi

Re: pci sxpansion

Post by erminardi »

Use all your PCI slots of your PC for Scope and put all others boards (I don't know what you have: UAD, TCworks, Protools, firewire, USB3???) into Virtuavia that they works.
In example UAD works very well (read UAD forums).
This is my solution: i have only 3 PCI and 2 PCI-e: 3 PCI for 3 Scope and one PCI-e for virtuavia with 4 UAD-1 cards.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

erminardi wrote:Use all your PCI slots of your PC for Scope and put all others boards (I don't know what you have: UAD, TCworks, Protools, firewire, USB3???) into Virtuavia that they works.
In example UAD works very well (read UAD forums).
This is my solution: i have only 3 PCI and 2 PCI-e: 3 PCI for 3 Scope and one PCI-e for virtuavia with 4 UAD-1 cards.
The card works on virtuavia, just don´t send midi to windows, and STS don´t sound. I can see the midi leds lighting on Scope devices receiven the midi ok.
Haven´t any other cards to try, but could work midi on that, but I want they work on Scope!
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

The problem with midi is very strange because the PCI overflow issue of early Virtuavia "2 slots+external power supply" box was more dramatic: for audio and Scope OS!
And was mainly a "power" issue.
Midi is a ridiculous data stream... I think seriously that is a connection problem.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

erminardi wrote:The problem with midi is very strange because the PCI overflow issue of early Virtuavia "2 slots+external power supply" box was more dramatic: for audio and Scope OS!
And was mainly a "power" issue.
Midi is a ridiculous data stream... I think seriously that is a connection problem.
If were a conection problem I could not see and test with Midi monitor the midi incoming? Don´t you think? I´ve already tried with the Scope virtual Midi keyboard, no connection posible there.
Maybe some problem with the RAM access, the driver or who knows, but even with the virtual scope keyboard STS don´t have sound output, and Cubase doesn´t receive Midi. Ocasionally a loop starts coming from the first of that Midi note, and some times I get the famous BSOD.
I don´t know what happens but something happens.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

are you working with only one scope card or more on virtuavia?
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

erminardi wrote:are you working with only one scope card or more on virtuavia?
Only one card, and is the Atx version with no power problems,
Anyone can confirm midi working with virtuavia and scope?
winger

Post by winger »

I checked out the virtuavia system which looked the the thing to do. They had the option to use a pc power supply. But when I checked when to order, the shipping cost to the US was $150. Since I did not know if it would work, it would cost me an additional 150 to ship it back to get my money back, I would be out $300 if it failed.

The cool drives one in the US cost me minimal shipping so if I needed to return it I would not be out much.

When I got the unit I was able to run 2 pulsar cards with not problem but could not run a scope. Because of this I concluded that is was a power problem and if I could reverse engineer the power system, I could provide sufficient power to make it work.

I started by providing high current 12 volt supply instead of the 35 watt supply provided. This did not work. Then I realized the 5 volt and 3.2 volt supplies were needed for the dsps. Then I opened the 5 volt regulator output pin and provided high current 5 volt supply. Not it works. I did not modify the 3.2 supply. The mother board derives the 3.2 volt from the 5 volt supply. Apparently, the scope cards do not use the 3.3 volt supply or requires very little power from it because it works. I could also provide the 3.2 volt supply but I am going with "if it works don't fix it".

I think this is exactly what the virtuavia one does. It requires a pc power supply so there is no need for the regulators that are on the low power ones.
mark winger
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Nothing new, they solved your issue with the Atx version that only can be suplied by an Atx psu, it works but still can't make Sts sound and no app on windows receive midi. Intenal scope instrumens work fine unless Sts.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

lagoausente wrote:Nothing new, they solved your issue with the Atx version that only can be suplied by an Atx psu, it works but still can't make Sts sound and no app on windows receive midi. Intenal scope instrumens work fine unless Sts.
Anyway is a very strange issue... :-?
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Yep!
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

SOLVED! SOLVED! SOOOOLVEEEEEDDDD!!! :D

I tried to test the card from the start, after some hours I found the problem. The thinkcentre S50 box I´m using comes with a riser pci board, I used it and also another pci extension cable just just for confort on installing the Virtuavia box. I realized that the cable caused the blue screens and the no midi, I checked it has some of the buses crushed on one side. I finally inserted the thinkcentre box pci riser board directly to the Virtuavia motherboard, just like it was on the original Ibm thinkcentre mainboard and all is working fine now!! So nothing bad with Virtuavia and Scope.
Finally replaced the IBM ATX for the Pico psu ATX (what have been using for long time in Magma) and all works perfectly. :)

ahhj, edit: had to disable the carbus (it was Ricoh chipset very bad) it interacts with the expresscard slot and was unusable for the pci bandwith overlimit, but once the carbus disable (really the Ricoh is shit, don´t miss nothing) I can load 8 masterverbs, just the same I could on Magma and the T40. So I´m very happy now, with the new laptop.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

lagoausente wrote:SOLVED! SOLVED! SOOOOLVEEEEEDDDD!!! :D

I tried to test the card from the start, after some hours I found the problem. The thinkcentre S50 box I´m using comes with a riser pci board, I used it and also another pci extension cable just just for confort on installing the Virtuavia box. I realized that the cable caused the blue screens and the no midi, I checked it has some of the buses crushed on one side. I finally inserted the thinkcentre box pci riser board directly to the Virtuavia motherboard, just like it was on the original Ibm thinkcentre mainboard and all is working fine now!! So nothing bad with Virtuavia and Scope.
Finally replaced the IBM ATX for the Pico psu ATX (what have been using for long time in Magma) and all works perfectly. :)

ahhj, edit: had to disable the carbus (it was Ricoh chipset very bad) it interacts with the expresscard slot and was unusable for the pci bandwith overlimit, but once the carbus disable (really the Ricoh is shit, don´t miss nothing) I can load 8 masterverbs, just the same I could on Magma and the T40. So I´m very happy now, with the new laptop.
Cool! :D
And now good music ;)
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Yes :)
I have now another question. STS and windows memory..., on a new thread.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Whoa, this is very exciting.

I've been theorizing a Scope + console system recently, possibly a Allan Heath ZED R-16 (or rather the GS-R24 :S), interconnecting the console via ADAT and a A16U (24 I/O).

Possibly also snoozing at a ADK Pro Audio 9000 laptop. But whatever new computer upgrade the PCI legacy question comes to mind. Still running my trusty P4P800SE, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

I am mainly interested in the Scope 'verbs and although I could run Scope on its own system, I would rather be able to controll it with the main comp.

lagoausente: Have you had any luck with the Ambience and Plate 'verbs, or the Timeworks effects in general?

winger: I am looking forward to your performance tests when you come back, and since you choose a different expansion system I would like to ask you the same question as I did to lagoausente.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

voidar wrote:Whoa, this is very exciting.

I've been theorizing a Scope + console system recently, possibly a Allan Heath ZED R-16 (or rather the GS-R24 :S), interconnecting the console via ADAT and a A16U (24 I/O).

Possibly also snoozing at a ADK Pro Audio 9000 laptop. But whatever new computer upgrade the PCI legacy question comes to mind. Still running my trusty P4P800SE, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

I am mainly interested in the Scope 'verbs and although I could run Scope on its own system, I would rather be able to controll it with the main comp.

lagoausente: Have you had any luck with the Ambience and Plate 'verbs, or the Timeworks effects in general?

winger: I am looking forward to your performance tests when you come back, and since you choose a different expansion system I would like to ask you the same question as I did to lagoausente.
Hello voidar, I have´t tested Timeworks or Plateverb, just made the Masterverb test and can load 8 masterverbs. Installin a booster driver on the cd can load 9, I´m not sure if 9 is stable but 8 I think so. That was just the same bandwith I got with the Magma chassis and I have seen 4 or 5 masterverbs results on desktop machines on the masterverb thread. (I used the Masterverb Classic I think, not sure if the test is exactly like that).
The diference between Magma and Virtuavia is that the Scope loads the projects at double speed now then with the Magma, but I suspect it´s due to the performance ot the new laptop, so in general all is better, and seems nothing to worry about pci bandwith.
The only thing I had to do is to disable the carbus on device manager. My thinkpad T400 comes with both Expresscard and carbus, the carbus chipset is very bad, a Ricoh, so even using the expresscard slot, if have the carbus enable got the pci overflow message even without any reverb, just disabling the Ricoh carbus the expresscard behaves like a rocket.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Those tests are pretty bad compared to my current setup, however that could just be a laptop or PCIe bottle neck.

I'm pretty sure the ADK 9000 would perform better. It is pretty much a laptop with desktop performance, tweaked for DAW performance.

I would be very interested if you could test the Timeworks stuff. :)
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

voidar wrote:Those tests are pretty bad compared to my current setup, however that could just be a laptop or PCIe bottle neck.

I'm pretty sure the ADK 9000 would perform better. It is pretty much a laptop with desktop performance, tweaked for DAW performance.

I would be very interested if you could test the Timeworks stuff. :)
I don´t have Timeworks, so can´t test it. I don´t see where is the bottle neck? , many guys with the Scope cards placed into modern desktop mainboards just can load 4 o 5 masterverbs, Most of one just like me, and only a few could reach 10 masterverbs. I can get 9 masterverbs installing the booster tool that comes with the CD, so I dont see any bottle neck here. It seems perform excellent.
Till I know the pci bandwith depends on the use of memory, so I the Timeworks use more memory than Masterverbs will allow you less devices, but I think as a reference is just the same using the Materverb test than anyother reverb, it allow you compare the bandwith beteween machines using the same reference.
voidar

Post by voidar »

You don't have Scope v5.0? (SC Ambience, Plate, Chorus Delay etc?)

I don't know, but considering 17 Masterverb instances used to be the mark, you would have to agree that below 10 is below par.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

voidar wrote:You don't have Scope v5.0? (SC Ambience, Plate, Chorus Delay etc?)

I don't know, but considering 17 Masterverb instances used to be the mark, you would have to agree that below 10 is below par.
No, I still have Scope 4.0. Upgrade is 200 euro or so, so I prefere saving money, wait and upgrade the hardware on the future, so I think I´ll get the last Scope version with the hardware.
I´ll check the masterverb thread again, and see if I did it ok, and have a look that the results. Is there any diference regarding bandwith performance using Scope 4.0 or Scope 5.0 or is the same for the masterverb test?
voidar

Post by voidar »

On my own account, it is pretty much more stable from v5.0.

I use mainly XTC mode these days and I never really encounter PCI bandwidth errors.
Last edited by voidar on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.