Bad wordclock sync with SYNCPLATE....

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

24bitMusic

Bad wordclock sync with SYNCPLATE....

Post by 24bitMusic »

Using apogee BIG BEN as an master-clock for my system. But, i have a unstable wc-clock problem with my Scope 6DSP v.5. It "looses" the sync, and i have changed the cables for a test but that doesen´t work. The IRQ is chared with another
card. I changed to the Scope card from the RME HAMMERFALL 9652/32 and i did not have this problem before.

Now, the Q: Has someone had this WC-Clock problem with the card? Is it unstable?
And i am no newbie at this!

(using Windows 7-32bit)
Fluxpod

Re: Bad wordclock sync with SYNCPLATE....

Post by Fluxpod »

Happens after a few years use but there is an easy fix.Unscrew the I/o board from your pulsar 2 card carefully(nylon screws so be very carefull).Then unplug and replug the I/O board a few times.That usually fixes all sync issues.The contacts can also be cleaned with Alcohol (99%) but it isnt absolutly necassary.
24bitMusic

Post by 24bitMusic »

Fluxpod wrote:Happens after a few years use but there is an easy fix.Unscrew the I/o board from your pulsar 2 card carefully(nylon screws so be very carefull).Then unplug and replug the I/O board a few times.That usually fixes all sync issues.The contacts can also be cleaned with Alcohol (99%) but it isnt absolutly necassary.
That is a really good idea. The card has not been used for several years, think 5 yrs. So, that might work.
Great tip, i will try within an hour and get back:)

// lasse
24bitMusic

Post by 24bitMusic »

It did not help. I disconnected the BIG BEN, running the card as an master. I have a Focusrite ISA 828 with Digital-option card ( ADAT I/O) and with the Scope-card WC as an master and ISA be syncronized to it, i thought everything was ok, but id wasn´t.

I am trying to eliminate what is wrong and it still seems to be the PULSAR2 card. It work´s for a while, then it get out of sync. With 8 channels of ADAT I/O running, there is lot of noise:(...
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Shame it didnt worked.What noise do you mean? Hiss or crackle?Does the pulsar2 works without anything connected to it or does it loose sync internal aswell?
24bitMusic

Post by 24bitMusic »

Fluxpod wrote:Shame it didnt worked.What noise do you mean? Hiss or crackle?Does the pulsar2 works without anything connected to it or does it loose sync internal aswell?
The sounds is the typical BIG JITTER sound....crackle sound. I don´t think it matters if i have anything connected to it.
Running BIG BEN as an master is THE ultimate master of wordclock. Something is wierd with WC of the card.

I will try to change place of PCI bus, due to the fact that it share´s the same IRQ as my UAD-card. I also have two
TC-POWERCORE cards, and maybe it worksbetter in another slot. i will try that later on. it´s gonna be a loooong night:)
garyb

Post by garyb »

i always use the syncplate. it DEFINITELY should work correctly.

what is sharing an IRQ with the card? except for a very few system devices, NOTHING should be sharing an IRQ with the Scope card. the Scope card is a real-time device which MUST get it's interrupt when it's required....
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

I agree uad and scope sharing an irq is not good.
kwild

Post by kwild »

Maybe the syncplate was damaged by the time.
If u are interested for a working replace,im selling one.
:roll:
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

The loss of sync is a card's hardware problem in my opinion, I'd suggest to contact S|C if those easy procedures don't work (I doubt they will).