400 Watt Power Supply (by oneartist)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Subject: the whine is probably a fan

a power supply of 400watts probably has a high CFM fan blowing air over it to keep it cool.

for a quiet power supply, i suggest you check out the QuietPC power supply.

i personally use the Antec PP303X power supply, which i got from buy.com with one of their awesome coupons. this power supply is highly regarded by many sites, including Anandtech.com.

Post by Guest »

I've read that Pulsar needs at least 300Watts, so when I saw the 400Watt "PowMax" supply that was reccommended for Athlon, I figured that more was better. When I installed it, I heard a high pitched whine that is hard on the ears. My two hard drives are definately running faster- I guess that explains the whine. I took it out and put the 250 W back in. Do any of you have high pitched whines with higher Watt power supplies? Will the whine hurt anything?

Post by Guest »

Subject: Are you reffering to...

The whine that pulsar makes when shutting down the system?
That's normal. It's this stupid gimic Creamware use to
make you think their card is realy complicated, so you
treat it with respect and shut down everything else first.
:)

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: High pitched sound

I had a very high pitched sound because my Pulsar 1 and SRB
was getting hot, at the same time the whole system went extremely slow.

Remember to cool your system try to install additional fans, this will save you from a lot of troubles.

Rolf

Post by Guest »

Subject: constant whine

Morris,
Thanks for responding. The whine that follows the 400watt installation is constant. It is hard on the ears and hard to live with. I have looked at some of the hardware review sites, and it seems that there are better power supplies with more stable performance. I guess each componant of the computer must be reviewed and compared and then checked for incompatability.
Chuck