Meters / clipping (by MarcelG)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I got this problem. If I play a lot of tracks at the same time, my Bigmixer gets 'overloaded' resulting in clipping. The meters go way into the red. I can't understand it. I have to lower the master volume with +/- 7db to avoid clipping/getting into the red. So I end up with a very soft final mix. Any ideas? Any solves?

Best regards,

Marcel

Post by Guest »

Subject: what version of Pulsar are you using?

the whole gain structure of the BigMixer was changed along the way, so I suggest you use the BigMixer V2B from Pulsar 2.04a (2.01a may be the same, not sure).

you get a LOT more headroom in the new version of the bigMixer.

be careful updating your Pulsar version in the middle of a project though, as this can sometimes cause problems. if you're still on a pre 2.01a release of Pulsar software, perhaps someone here can send you the BigMixer device from 2.04a which has this headroom adjustment.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Clipping

Hi,

Let me try to re-explain the problem (by now I think it's a headroom problem). I use a Pulsar2 (v2.04a) + cubaseVST32 5R1 and an E-mu Audio Production studio.

The S/Pdif out of the APS goes into the Pulsar2's S/Pdif. My output meters (of the APS) show me a maximum level of
-1db. In the BigMixer (v2B) it's input reads approx.
-4.5db. I connect this to a 'mix' input.

I do the same for Cubase. Master output says -1db while the BigMixer input reaches +2db. Master output on the Bigmizer is going way into the red by now (causing some serious clipping). If I lower the (Cubase) input volume (in BigMixer) everything seems to be normal.

If I use a lot of tracks (both cubase and APS) the problem's getting worse. I end up lowering all mixerstrips in Cubase with approx. -10db. Same goes for the APS stuff. This leaves me with a very soft mixdown....

Any Ideas?

Post by Guest »

Subject: meter/ cliping

the basic of good mixing is leveling and eq each channel by it's instrument.
first of all take care that your input (gain) is not distorted or too low (click the red button at the lower part of each channel , it shows you the input level when it turned on).
use compressors on the sounds which are problematic with the main level.
these tips are a drop in the ocean of the theory of good mixing but they are very important for a beginner.

good luck.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Subject: Re: meter/ cliping

well, i did tell him also about these things, and the reply was like... "i´m sorry for you you can´t read"

...hmmm

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Meters / clipping

where do you get the clipping, in the channels, or in the master section?

Post by Guest »

lower all channel levels. take more use of compressors.

Post by Guest »

I feel sorry for you you can't read...

Post by Guest »

thank you, dear sir... ähm. sorry for my bad behavior.