I-MAC with Pulsar?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

May work the I-MAC G3 with Pulsar I or II?
How? (I thing its imposibble, but a friend of mine will liked...)
Some extra-Interface?
If somebody are working with MAC+Pulsar I will be welcome if are able to supply me xtra info/experience.

Thanks for all.

Post by Guest »

Subject: read the FAQ

on creamware's site, they have an FAQ which covers hardware suggestions and requirements. in short, you can't use a PCI card in an iMac, since an iMac has no PCI slots.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Subject: www.magma.com

take a look at www.magma.com they provide workable solutions
for the powerbook (not the i-mac or i-book since they got no
PCMCIA slot)

Post by Guest »

Subject: Aha! But what about..

I'm very interested in this at the moment, as a Mac OS would be a far better solution than a PC in critical situations such as live music.

Soo...

What about an iBook with a PCI expansion chassis? (You can! The bloke at my local Mac dealer said you can't, but he was saving face through lack o' knowledge ;) )..

It would be great to have pulsar running on a little iBook using one of of those PCI things, the fit straight into a PCMCIA slot. Apparently these guys only work with certain iBooks... so have anyone got any results?

Post by Guest »

Subject: too be honest, it would probably suck :)

it might work, but Pulsar/SCOPE is very dependant on host resources especially the PCI Bus, which is the path to, and from, Pulsar to your PC's main memory (for tasks such as sampling, delays, and reverbs especially).

A properly configured PC will kick a Mac's but in the PCI bandwidth department, there is no contest. I have my Win98 machine tweaked, and can leave it on for weeks with Pulsar and Logic open to my current project without ever rebooting. It's all about how you configure the software...

You could try the iBook thing, but you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the card. I'm not saying it wouldn't work -- it probably would. I'm just saying if you're gonna use a Mac, at least use a slightly decent one, like a 500mHz G4 with 512 megs of RAM.

I'm using a 1000mhz, 512meg PC here on a CUSL2, with a G450 Dual Monitor setup (BigMixer fits perfectly on a 14" at 800x600 :), and Pulsar is like greased lightning...