How to solve FREEZING problems ultimately in ACPI mode!

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

helldriver

How to solve FREEZING problems ultimately in ACPI mode!

Post by helldriver »

Hi guys, I´ve had a lot of trouble using my Scope15dsp in a Magma together with my Sony FE31M Centrino Dualcore Laptop running under ACPI mode. I often had a freeze out of a sudden. I tried a lot of things to solve that issue. I deactivated in the device manager everything that wasn´t needed for my purposes running scope to make music (I deactivated firewire, the irq sharing usb, the intern soundcard, wlan, etc). All of this made my laptop more stable when running together with scope 4.5, but freezes still occured.
Now I found the final solution for my freezing problem. I installed the driver from Scope 3.1b. Since then not a single freeze is occuring. Now my system is rock solid and for me there´s no need to get Scope 5 that quickly anymore.

Here is the topic that solved my freezing issue:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... a&start=20

here you find the drivers download link (many thanks to Shayne White):
http://www.shaynesworld.com/3.1b_drivers.zip

Ps.: this workaround could also work for those who have Scope 4.0 and won´t get the coming Scope 5 software for free. So if you have strange freezing problems with your creamware hardware running under an acpi installed system which is indispensable when running a multicore cpu (hyperthreaded cpu, dual-, quadcore-cpu) you should try that, perhaps it fixes your problem.

greetings
a happy music producing helldriver without freezes
Neutron

Re: How to solve FREEZING problems ultimately in ACPI mode!

Post by Neutron »

so there is no difference in the ULLI you can get or anything like that? i wonder what they "fixed" in 4.0 which broke it.
helldriver

Post by helldriver »

what do you mean with ulli,i am running my system with 13ms ulli setting, its stable.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

thanks!!
i wonder as well: what is the difference between 4.0 and 4.5..??
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

helldriver wrote:what do you mean with ulli,i am running my system with 13ms ulli setting, its stable.
no i just meant was the best achievable ulli setting less or more, or stayed the same when you went to 3.1 driver
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

the19thbear wrote:thanks!!
i wonder as well: what is the difference between 4.0 and 4.5..??
None - it's the same software.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

sorry.. my mistake, i didnt make myself clear:)
what is the difference between the DRIVER: 3.1b and 4.5??
fidox

Post by fidox »

well, that was my solution too some time ago with 3.1a driver - asus mobo which drives me crazy with freezes,
but i wasn't satisfied that old driver should do the trick and i dig deeper into problem and solution ?
i changed to other motherboard, same chipset like asus just this one was abit mobo,
i also installed in Standard PC mode and from that point i didn't experiences any freezes or blue screen, so i'm running this system now almost 2 years ,
Scope 4.5 installed

I think problems appears when i have added Pulsar XTC card with Luna II, so i think asus mobo had some problems with that,
now i have Luna II + 2 x Pulsar XTC with abit , works really stable, (same chipset like asus)

matej
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!! :o

I had given up using my Pulsar card years ago due to the freezing problem. At one stage I had it running in a dedicated non-ACPI machine as an external synth, but for many reasons this became impractical. It has actually been sitting in my current system since 2006, but without the main application running. I needed to use it on an old project, so was faced with building another PC (again!). Like others, I have spent countless hours trying different slots, different motherboards, different Windows installations etc to no avail.

Having given up waiting for the new release, I found these posts about the 3.1b driver - and it works!!! I have run the system for two days continuosly without any problems. After all these years - wooo hooo!!! :D

Hopefully the 3.1b driver works with the V5 software - if we need to. :P
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

maybe might be something so obscure that they used a newer version of the compiler but maybe it wasnt so great, hypertheading? interrupt handling maybe nobody will ever know.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Update: I have been running the system nearly every day for over a month now - and not one single freeze or crash! :)

I now have issues with the startup project not being hidden and also having it ask me to save the unchanged default project every time I shut down - but I'll wait to see it V5 fixes this. :roll:
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Damn! Upgraded to V5 and now I get BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) crashes randomly every couple of hours. This also happens without the main application running at all - just sittong idle. Removed card and no more crashes.
helldriver

Post by helldriver »

Hi, I will stay with 4,5 as long as possible.
Maybe next summer, when I have enough time after my studies are finished, i´will try 5.0 together with win 7.
I already installed 5.0 under XP and I wasn´t that surprised. Gladfully I didn´t have blue screens but with my system strange other things occured, as there are: protone not working, old projects unstartable (this is must for the final release in my opinion) and some strange breakdowns of the software after a strange registration loop.
I will wait and I´m so happy that 4.5 works that stable under my dualcore conditions.

does anybody know whether it is possible to run 4.5 under win 7?

greeting helldriver
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Wallace wrote:This also happens without the main application running at all
I suppose it would logic to think of a driver pb then!?
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

iSiStOy wrote:
Wallace wrote:This also happens without the main application running at all
I suppose it would logic to think of a driver pb then!?
Yes - I would say 99.99% sure it's a driver problem. I made a point of running the system without the main app running to test this - still had BSODs 1 to 3 times daily. The system has now been running for several days non-stop without a problem - the only thing I did was remove the Pulsar.

I had V4.5 with the 3.1b driver running for months - the BSODs only started happening since V5. I'll go back to V4.5/3.1b. I'll be away for a while, so it won't be for several months - maybe fixed by then.

BTW: Running XP Pro 32bit.