sorry... what do i gain from upgrading to 2.04a?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mo

Post by Mo »

my verson 2.01 does some strange things with the GUI. and i can´t use the os mode of pulsar. deleting a device could crash pulsar sometimes.
i´m using win98se.

should i consider 2.04a and winME? what benefits do i gain through that upgrade?

thanks,
Mo

Post by Guest »

Subject: Multicard support.

The main reason 2.04 is released is the multiple card support. You can connect the cards through the S/TDM bus and they work together as there was only one card that has the I/Os and processing power of two cards.

Post by Guest »

Subject: *...continued...*

*...continued...*

...i mean, are there new useful features? are there new bugs? especially, what about the sluggish vu-meters, a few people are talking of?

thanks
Mo

Post by Guest »

Subject: some nice minor changes

my VU meters don't seem slugish, but I also don't rely on them too much.

You get a couple of nice features and bug fixes, including a popup "Are you sure you want to delete this device?" window, which is handy when you don't realize you have a device selected for deletion when you only wanted to delete a wire, etc.

I think they also fixed the STS4000 sampler (a few minor bugs which involved envelope sharing), but I would HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT YOU COMPLETE YOUR CURRENT PROJECTS before upgrading, as you don't want a silly upgrade to stop your creative flow.

(Only partially related), I also use Norton Ghost to take a "snapshot" of my software drive, so that I can get back to a "known good" setup quickly if anything ever gets seriously messed up. It's a hell of a lot easier than reinstalling windows every 1/3 year :)

Post by Guest »

Subject: Norton Ghost - Questions

Can you make a system backup with Norton Ghost of partitions wider than a CD-Rom?

My windows "standard" setup has near 1.5 Gb of size (placed in a HD partition of 2 Gb ) and I don't find the way of to create a backup larger than 650Mb (the size of a CD-Rom).

Really I have not researched to much in the NG for lack of time.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Guest »

Subject: yes, Ghost plans multi-CDs

yes, Ghost plans multi-CDs, and you can even make the first CD bootable (provided you also have the setting for this set in the BIOS).

the way I setup all my machines is about 20% for programs, and about 80% for data. Then, I simply ghost the small program drive with OS onto the larger data drive.

I don't really need more than say, 6 gigs for programs and the OS, and I can keep a "known good" ghost on the larger drive. No more frusterating down time since I started doing this...

Post by Guest »

Subject: You can go even further

You can take Norton Ghost a step further, I use it for 2 purposes,
1): like you said, on CD's,
2): as a backup-drive, I copy the entire harddisk onto another harddrive regularly.
Takes 20-25 minutes for 30GB, and harddisks are cheap these days...

This means I have a 2-level fallback solution, should I install something less than successfull or otherwise mess things up.

Regards
Stubbe

Post by Guest »

Subject: yes

yes, i think i´ll finish our running projects and take a look on 2.04a under winME.

to save the whole partition is always a quite good idea, especially when testing different software versions.

thank you.
Mo