Luna2 as mixer?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello everybody!

The new version 2 of the I/O system Luna comes with
EQs and compressors.
I am thinking about buying it to use it as a mixing
solution.
Do you think the 3 DSPs of the Luna are enough to mix 10 analog inputs and some hard disk recording tracks using
EQs and compressors?
What about running a reverb plug-in at the same time?

Thanks for your help..
Dani

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Luna2 as mixer?

Depends on the number of EQs and Compressors, etc, that you plan on using. It would be a no-brainer to mix 10 channels with at least 4 compresors, and a mixer, and a couple EQs, you might even have enough DSP for an EQ on every channel, a few compressors, and a reverb, but reverbs are usually pretty big devices.

I don't have the Luna II mixers, so I'm not exactly sure how much DSP they consume. But my guess is that 10 inputs should be no problem especially if you don't need dynamics on every single channel.

Post by Guest »

thanks for your help!
The Luna II mixer seems like an "economy" version of the
big mixer (only four aux sends, no phase inversion,
less flashy interface). It is also claimed to use few
resources only.

I looked at the DSP usage chart on this site in the
meantime and saw that EQs and compressors seem to use
few resources only.

- What do pulsar users think about the quality of the
Creamware EQs and dynamic processors by the way?

Post by Guest »

Subject: pulsar eq´s and comps

i take much use of the pulsar eq´s and comps. but they only good if you won´t run them in extreme settings - for such things analogue gear is much better.

gruß,
Mo

Post by Guest »

Actually although they are more economical, the Luna mixers have a few things I like better about them. For example, the surround sound mixer is pretty sweet...

The stock Pulsar dynamics are useful, but very precise, clean....... sterile? I use the SonicTimeworks Full Pulsar Bundle, and the compressors are a lot better, as are the EQs. You can't really beat the nice interface on the CW EQs though.