ASIO - in relation to Cakewalk Sonar and Scope

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

ASIO - in relation to Cakewalk Sonar and Scope

Post by krizrox »

I have a question (or questions) related to ASIO functionality in general, but also in relation to Sonar, Samplitude, Cubase and whatever other DAW's there are out there.

There is a primary problem for me that has to do with Sonar - especially the most recent version of it - V8. Cakewalk seems to have changed something about the program that is affecting the way I open and close projects.

I have these default projects set up in Scope for various recording and mixing tasks. Usually, the way it works is I open Scope, load a project, then open Sonar, load a default recording template and get to work. When a song is finished I close that project and open a new fresh default project and keep on working. Now I have to completely shut down Sonar when changing projects because the program seems to lose synchronization withe ASIO drivers in Scope. In previous versions I never had to completely shut down Sonar. I would just load up a new recording template or existing project and started working.

I don't have ths problem with Samplitude Pro 10 (which I also have) - it works as expected. I can shut down a project and open a new one without having to completely exit the program first. It seems to maintain connection to the ASIO drivers in Scope. It used to work this way in previous versions of Sonar too.

I guess I'm curious if what sort of behavior I should expect to see in other DAW's. Is there a normal function in regards to what I'm talking about (I hope I'm explaining it properly). I realize my method of working may be different than anyone else's method but maybe someone is doing similar things like me and knows what I'm referring to. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with the latest version of Sonar or am I doing something that is not kosher?

Thanks
valis

Re: ASIO - in relation to Cakewalk Sonar and Scope

Post by valis »

This is normal from my experiences, it sounds to me like the Sonar was either gracefully handling the soundcard drivers 'disappearing' or you had something similar to Steinbergs "release ASIO in background" enabled in your applications. The correct procedure for ASIO applications has always been close ASIO app, change scope project, restart ASIO app.

It's interesting hear that older versions of Sonar & the current version of Samplitude do NOT require this.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Well, the drivers never disappear as long as Scope is active and up and running. They are always there in the background right? What seems to be changing is the way that Sonar maintains a connection to those active drivers when you shut down and open new projects - even if the projects have the same basic ASIO IO configuration. I understand that you'd need to shut everything down and reload when the ASIO drivers in the Scope Project changes. But if they never change, why would I have to completely shut down the recording/sequencer app? In any event, in previous versions of Sonar I never had a problem so something has changed recently. I know they worked on the ASIO stuff in V8 - did something to it to improve it or something.

I want to reconfim something - I'm not changing the ASIO drivers in Scope once they have been loaded. When I load a project, the ASIO drivers don't change. I don't change the number of channels or the type of ASIO driver. I understand that would cause a problem.
nprime

Post by nprime »

Hi Larry.

I am using Sonar 5PE and do not have the problem you are describing.

Seems like very odd behaviour.
valis

Post by valis »

krizrox wrote:I want to reconfim something - I'm not changing the ASIO drivers in Scope once they have been loaded. When I load a project, the ASIO drivers don't change. I don't change the number of channels or the type of ASIO driver. I understand that would cause a problem.
So I was perhaps misunderstanding you, you're changing projects in your main sequencer and not in scope?
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sorry but thanks for your replies. The problem was solved with a fresh re-installation of Sonar. I'm not sure what would have casued this problem in the first place but it's a non-issue now. Thanks for your help!
valis

Post by valis »

Glad you got it fixed, sorry I misunderstood you it was early!
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

It's cool. I was worried no one would understand what the heck I was talking about anyway :lol: My level of expertise on some of this stuff dies off quickly I'm afraid. I always feel like a kid around here trying to impress the grownups :lol: