Pulsar & Hardware Synth, help needed (by King of Snake)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I recently bought and EMU XL-1 module to expand my Pulsar-only setup, but I'm not experienced with hardware synths so I would like to know what would be the ideal way to hook the module up to my Pulsar and controller keyboard in the way of MIDI connections. The keyboard should send midi to Pulsar and the module, cubase should also send midi to the xl-1 and the knobs of hte xl-1 should send midi to the computer. So what do I connect with what?
Also, are there any changes I should make in Cubase/Pulsar now that I added the XL-1? (In the way of midi sync for example?)

Many thanx in advance for the help!

Post by Guest »

Subject: Midi connection

Connect keyboard out to computer in.Computer out to Emu in. Emu out to computer in.In order to connect both keyboard and EMU to the computer you need 2 midi inputs or a Midi merge. So you'll need to buy a second midi-interface.
To avoid problems buy an interface with at least 2 inputs and connect only via that.There might be some conflicts otherwise.Not likely but 2 in-2 out interfaces are really cheap so just to be on the safe side.
I'm not sure if the EMU syncs to midi in any way so i don't know if you need to change the setup.

Post by Guest »

Subject: midi thru?

Okay thanx, another guy suggested I connect the Keyboard to the Pulsar midi thru and then the EMU out to the Pulsar midi in. Would that also work? What exactly does a midi thru do?

Post by Guest »

Subject: that may not work

midi through is generally a copy of anything coming in the "midi in" port on the same device.

this is useful for connecting your controlling keyboard to the first synth, then "throughing" it to the next synth in the chain. the Midi Through is a copy of the Midi In port generally.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: that may not work

So the midi through is basically for outgoing midi signals, not incoming. I'll go and buy a midi interface then. Any recommendations?

Post by Guest »

Subject: midiman or emagic

midiman usb interfaces seem to work really good with win98se or greater PCs, i believe they also have win2000 drivers, and they make smaller, cheaper 2x2 and 4x4 units.

if you want an 8x8 and use logic, the emagic amt8 is one to check out, and the unitor8mk2.

if you use cubase, you should check out the new steinberg interface.