recording pops, hiccups from WAV -> ASIO

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Terrac

recording pops, hiccups from WAV -> ASIO

Post by Terrac »

Pulsar fiends,
help me trouble shoot this one please.

Core2 Duo
Intel 975BX2 mobo

Pulsar II
Logic (asio) - out
Audition, wavelab, soundforce, etc... (wav, wav24, wav interleaved,...) - in

While running sequences from logic out through asio to pulsar STM48 (have tried direct, and alternate mixers) causes pops in audio. have tried adjusting ULLI up and down. Having maximum latency caused less pops, but still pops.

I record from ASIO to WAV through pulsar to capture pulsar summing, effects, instruments not bounced, live etc.

Recording into ASIO from WAV = no problem
Recording into ASIO from external source = no problem
Recording into WAV from external source = 99.9% no problem (in a really long session there may be a blip or two, yes I would love to solve this, but it's a lower priority)

I moved the pulsar card from an Athlon XP system that had no pops, or glitches. Core2 Duo system has the glitches.

new OS, but I have tried to optimize it for recording. (checked DMA, PCI conflicts) I had to disable onbord sound and the firewire controller.

I am thinking hardware interrupts are the issue, but it could be software interrupts from a windows service.

Thoughts?
-terrac, It's whats for dinner
Minister of tiny plastic robots
CloudFactory
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I have a core2duo system, also with an high end mobo, but had an impossibility to use the sts 5000 and also the sample oscillators loaded in Modular showed a not perfect tightness. Then I've selected in Windows boot.ini advanced features (msconfig.....etc.) to make the system recognize the processor as a single one and these problems seem disappeared. I've probably lost the 25% of the cpu power but after all I don't need it, as I don't use tons of vst's.....well not even one! :)

So: Run---msconfig---BOOT.INI tab---advanced options, tick /NUMPROC and select one. Reboot. That is reversible in any moment, worth a try.
valis

Post by valis »

Better yet just record back into another Logic track using ASIO. This is a workable workflow as many use it.
Malascope

Post by Malascope »

There are instances where the workaround isn't very satisfactory like when the master you want to record involves skipping a sectn in the sequencer program (I use Cubase). I need to do this fairly regularly as I run off different vsns of tracks.

I'd be soooo grateful if anyone can prov a solution to this in a core 2 duo system. I used to run a P3 system (450 meghz) without this problem!

I want core 2 power AND my pulsar!
Terrac

Post by Terrac »

Malascope wrote: I'd be soooo grateful if anyone can prov a solution to this in a core 2 duo system. I used to run a P3 system (450 meghz) without this problem!

I want core 2 power AND my pulsar!
I have noticed the same general affect. recording on pulsar is sometimes glitchy now that it's in the core 2 duo system.

Terrac
-terrac, It's whats for dinner
Minister of tiny plastic robots
CloudFactory
garyb

Post by garyb »

let's see if V5 fixes your problem. i haven't had this problem with Magix Music Studio or it's daddy Samplitude.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there's no info either way...

i don't have these problems with core2 processors, so perhaps it's a combination of hardware and the applications....
RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

hrmmm... this problem sounds familiar....
check this old thread out and see if there might be a slove for you there on the last threadpage.
http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=20
good luck!
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I sure had terrible performance problems using multiple cores (AMD Athlon 64 x2) and had to go back to one core a few years ago. It's a definite bug.
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

garyb wrote:let's see if V5 fixes your problem. i haven't had this problem with Magix Music Studio or it's daddy Samplitude.
Yes, no issues with Samplitude.

Greg

Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3