Pulsar 2 Setup Driving Me MAD!!

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

I am in need of sanity, I am running Cubase VST32 PIII 1ghz and have recently purchased a Pulsar 2 Card. I also have installed a M-Audio Delta 66 card and have external midi synths connected via Midex-8x8 Interface. In my opinion the MIDI Connections to external synths etc.. are setup ok.
My problem is this:
I get a continous midi loopback when i try to play the pulsar synths via master keyboard/sequencer which causes cubase and computer to freeze.
I have Sequencer Midi Source 1 connected to 3 Pulsar synths, any other devices needed to be connected.
What settings in the Pulsar Gui do i need to do in order to play the pulsar synths via Midi. I want to be able to play from my master keyboard ( which is not connected to any Pulsar Midi Ports ) and sequencer. I want to control it all from the Midex if that is possible.

Anyone care to help out
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Two ways to do this easily. I do it the first way, as I've had issues with software-midi-drivers in the past.

Scenerio 1. Connect a Midi cable from Midex8 OUT to Pulsar Hardware Midi IN. Inside Pulsar, you route signals from "Pulsar MIDI In" to your pulsar DSP plugins that require MIDI. Inside Cubase, you select the Midex8 port you've connected to Pulsar.

Scenerio 2. Inside Pulsar, route MIDI from "Sequencer MIDI Source" to your devices. Inside Cubase, use "Pulsar MIDI 1" as your MIDI out port.

As you can see, you're not using any MIDI destinations or Sequencer destinations using these methods. The MIDI is already going through the sequencer, the only reason you'd need to route it back would be to record MIDI from pulsar devices -- and if you're controlling them externally, this data is already passing through your sequencer for recording.

Hope that helps...
Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

I tried as you suggested and this is the outcome.
Connect Midex 8 Out #3 to Pulsar In.
In Pulsar GUI Connect Pulsar 2 Midi A Source to Pulsar Synths.
Uknow MIDI ch1 and Inferno MIDI ch2.
In cubase select Midex Out 3 Output play 2 single notes/keys seems to go ok but then it will just hold the note locking it.

Havent tried the 2nd scenario yet!!
Any ideas
I can send you my .pro file for inspection if you require.
Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

I've done a bit of investigating.
If i connect my master keyboard out to Pulsar In, all is fine. No Hanging Notes.
If i then introduce the Midex8 into the equation eg. Master keyboard out to midex in 8, midex out 8 to Pulsar In I get hanging locking notes.
Anyone sucessfully using a midex8 Interface with Pulsar.
Could this be a USB Problem??
I'm using Windows ME and as far as i can tell i only thought there was a USB Problem for Win98. Also anything to do with the VIA Chipset???
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Do you have a *gasp* via chipset and are running a USB midi interface?

Also with WinME you really need to do a http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com followed perhaps by removing System Restore :wink: The original IE5.5/OE have a memory leak that is fixed with the latest IE service packs and updates.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-07-24 15:47 ]</font>
Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

Your Kidding, right!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

nope, not him.you have a powerful studio with pulsar and you are now an engineer.congrats.
be patient and get used to it 'cause a computer doing what yours can do is a complicated thing.check these forums,the creamware forum and subhuman's website(infinite vortex).comb for info carefully and try the suggestions and the pain is temporary.btw-for help we need to know detail about your system (mobo-peripherals-drives-cpu-memory-o.s.)
Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

Current Setup:
P3 1 Ghz. 256 PC133MB Ram. Elite Viachipset Mobo eV693A-A, 1xFujitsu UDMA66 H/Drive. 16mb Savage AGP Card. In PCI Slots... Network Card, M-Audio Delta 66, Pulsar 2.
On USB Steinberg Midex8 v1.1. O/S WinME.
Via 4 in 1 service pack 432v.
Micha

Post by Micha »

Elite? VIA Chipset? Sorry, not recommended.
Have a look at the results with the Search function for VIA. Since you have P III we all here at the forum recommend ASUS CUSL2/CUSL2-C (Seems to be best at the moment)
But before you upgrade (you should!) try the latest BIOS. With VIA it is essential always to have latest drivers AND latest BIOS.
Happy pulsaring
Micha
Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

Thanks for the advice, this is only a temporary system i might add. I've got dual P3 1Ghz CPU's waiting to go in an Abit VP6 dual board, when it arrives. ( Thats VIA Chipset too!! )I just wanted to see if there would be any serious installation problems.
Is this whole VIA Chipset a problem or am i better of cancelling the VP6 board and going for an Intel chipset dual board??
I dont really want to get involved in the technical formalities of chipsets and there problems, i just want to make music like the rest of us.. Trouble Free.
Then theres the wait for Win2K drivers for Pulsar!!!.
Incidentally the MIDI Problem is fixed finally, after experimenting with the Pulsar GUI a few HOURS this morning and Cubase Midi Settings:
Cause...?? Pulsar Midi Input Enabled on VST, i disabled it selected Pulsar Output channel played from master keyboard which is connected to Midex8 Interface and it worked. Enabled Pulsar Input and i got the midi loopback/hanging.
What a headache that was!!!
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Anything but VIA ! Yes, you can make it work, but you'll always get troubles. USB make trouble, PCI make trouble, voltage make trouble (high voltage when on automatic CPU Vcore generate HEAT), sharing make troubles and the Promise controler is a peace of shit. And stability ? HA! HA! Seriously, I've thrown mine to garbage after 2months, literally, not even joking. Never again will I buy anything from VIA. You can check out the AMD761MP (Multi-Processor version) for and AMD dual cpu setup, but you are on Intel CPU right?. Acorp has a 6A815EPD based on i815EP (same as CUSL2-C) that looks good, but don't even think about VIA, this is my advise, for what it's worth...

Seem bitter? YES, i've lost so much time and money with this chipset. AMD should do something about this, cuz, it make them look so bad! Since having so much problems with VIA, i buyed a Intel CPU and board to have peace of mind, not that AMD Athlon are no good, in fact they're probably better and faster, but i HATE troubles. :mad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2001-07-25 08:23 ]</font>
Supersaw

Post by Supersaw »

So i take it VIA Chipset is a definate miss then!
Thanks to all. :smile:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yeah, I've lost many countless hours trying to get a KT133a/KX133A/Apollo Pro chipsets working (and AMD K6 VIA chipsets too), and although I have a personal dislike of their products due to bugs, instability and lack of out-of-the-box performance, I will still continue to evaluate their new products as they do consistantly produce the cheapest solution...

And for some people it's all about price, performance is secondary, especially in business sectors where the machines will only be used for Excel or something :wink: