KNOW, LET'S GO FOR IT! PUT YOUR DROP OF WATER INTO PULSAR' (

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I've always wandered what kind of music you people are doing out there with your Pulsar Systems…

Here, in this continuously growing wonderful forum, we talk mainly about the distinct problems we experience with sequencers, OS versions, hardware incompatibilities, etc. This is extremely useful to everybody of course. But we probably need a bit more… and this "bit more" is SHARED EXPERIENCE in how to actually WORK with Pulsar creatively, ideas exclusively related to use Pulsar when making music and unrelated with the technical problems we sometimes have.

I believe it is exceptionally interesting to get to know what kind of music we all are doing, because different kind of music need different projects, completely different sounds and presets and demands different experience too.

If we know (roughly speaking of course) what every one of us is doing with Pulsar, we can deepen our experience in music making matters enormously!

I'm completely sure you actually KNOW many… many… things I don't; tips & tricks which would surprise me much becoming a daily schedule to my music. And why not, I may give you one or to good ideas as well. Pulsar is so flexible that I will not be surprise before hundreds of different ideas you may post here.

We all need advises, tips on how to use our different instruments, new ideas about sound design, about innovative ways to use your FXs and other staff we all have.

Common musicians, let's go for it! Show your staff, show your PRECIOUS SECRETS to everybody so we can enrich from your experience. You may loose a few of your secrets yes… but you will get many in exchange.

Please, I would suggest to start all those posts with the word: KNOW in the "Subject" frame, so we can get all the ideas gathered together when searching for some knowledge in how best use Pulsar. If you want to talk about "Sound Design" so you first write the word "know" followed by the topic you are explaining, for example:

KNOW, Sound Design, useful tips.

I really long for your cooperation. Thanks to you all, Nestor.

Post by Guest »

Subject: well.....!

hi,

well... i´m trying to do more informations about me, my work and the kind of music i´m doing with my pulsarsystem and the other stuff i´m using! maybe i should give more informations about my pulsarUsing... okay, i will think about it...
for this moment you can take a look on my homepage where you can see some facts about my work (unfortunatley language is german!) but: if it´s necessary, i will update it to english! www.horrn.de
and if you´re there take a look for my bear-pics! they are important! and: search for the infos at the links studio/ekipment... more will come out soon...
that´s it!
greetings
t.

Post by Guest »

Subject: tips and tricks

look at the special page "tips and tricks" in this forum. as far as i know, everybody is invited to post an article. i would love to read one from you. since your mail is one of the very few positive things in this forum, i will also think of an article and post it there.

bye, felix

Post by Guest »

Subject: KNOW, my kind of music

I'm a bass player, this is my first instrument. I play some guitar and keyboard as well.

My music turns round Jazz-Rock-Fusion, Jazz, and some classical orchestral staff. Eventually, I would write some songs but I've always felt inclined to instrumental music. I can enjoy singing, no doubt, I love it, but when I a sit to compose I always have the tendency to do something rather instrumental.

Most than everything else I enjoy soloing with my bass, in Jazz-Rock atmospheres, or leading melodies on top.

Nestor.

Post by Guest »

Subject: KNOW, some little tricks

Some of my first Tips may sound very obvious to many of you, but they are not so obvious for everyone, we all had to learn at some stage those little points:

BASS OVERTONES

If you are looking for a deep bass to a particular project and have problems with overtones, or unwanted resonance, try to EQ first the instrument to a middle point instead of looking for a fat sound at source. Now, go for the TWO X EQ equalizer. This so simple device gives you such a "deep" sound. It is fantastic to recreate the old Fender Jazz-Bass sound of the 70s and 80s.

Most problems of resonance with bass instruments are at the source of their equalization. So, unless you can get a very good sound straight from your Amp, it is not advisable to equalize you bass too deep at its sound source.

FXs CHAIN

Most people use their FXs in very similar positions, so the sounds are more and less repeated and that may be boring, so we go for more an more an more FXs, but we never experienced with those we have at home fully.

Try that: Go for extreme sets using a Pulsar Chorus like the FB Chorus A, "but" use your Dry so you can hardly here it at the bottom of your sound source. Chain it through the BOS Filthar and add some distortion and presence. Now add DEELAY device and look for a middle delay, but with a fast release, so you can here no more than tree dying repetitions of the original sound. Finally, go through the PT 2012 and add some ambience to it. You'll get a pretty amazing sound.

DRY AND WET CONCEPTS

We all know that you will rarely use very spacious sounds in all your instruments unless you are looking for a particular effect, or you are talking about film-music-making for the very same reason. We always need a good sound equilibrium between one extreme and the other. There are very good solutions using a Synth and a Sample Player together, chained at the same MIDI channel, and this is a way to keep resources in pulsar Sharks NOT USING REVERBS.

Simple: Look for a spacious sound sample to meet the requirements of your desired preset to be played through a Sample Player chained with, for instance, an EZ Synth, both at MIDI channel 2, so to get them playing together at the same time. Regulate the volume so the presence of the EZ Synth is rather more evident, and let the Sample Player behind, with little attack, so it sounds just after the EZ Synth preset you have chosen. This so simple and obvious trick, works wonders, and you have more DSP power to do other things than adding Reverbs.

Hope this help someone. I would like to be able to give a lot from myself, but I still know just a little.

Nestor.

Post by Guest »

Subject: re:

Hi i make trance with my pulsar, and i think that the pulsar is a great tool for making trance, but creamware should invest more time in to the development of drum-devices and high quality analog synths (like acces virus b)

Post by Guest »

Subject: Saturn and Zarg Free

for virusB sounds, try the Saturn. it can get so close, it's not even funny. :) people have actually thought it was a Virus in the mix, people who own virus's even!

it's free on planetz.

while you're there, snag the free Zarg synth. it's awesome and may make you want more Zarg! I think the technical term for it is "Zargalicious."

Have fun.

Post by Guest »

Subject: virusy

the pulsar modular gets some sharp virus type sounds too. ive heard stuff i thought was a VA synth forsure. you just gotta know how to program it.