The ever famous bigmixer problem

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I've recently become a pularian, stepping up from Yamaha's dsp factory.
Anyway, this bigmixer thing is reallly killing me. Why is it so MONO based??? The inability to have fully linked stereo groups is really killing my production line, up to a point that it's changing the sound I create.
Is there a way to link aux sends? Or the insert parameters?

I dunno, I'm pretty stuck. How do you work around this? (without putting things BEFORE the bigmixer ins)
And, if there is an alternative mixer that everyone uses, please give me some advice.
gelder_1

Post by gelder_1 »

you probably didn't explore the whole bigmixer yet , 'cause you have the option to link two mono channels into one stereo , just click the arrows on the lowerleft side of the fader and pan one of them to left or right and there you go , you have stereo channel.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

No no, I meant AFTER I link the two monos. The faders link and the EQs link but I don't know how to have the two channels share a single stereo insert effect. (as opposed to 2 mono inserts) And I also have to individually adjust the aux sends... which is very time consuming, given the fact that I can't see my settings numerically.
Mo

Post by Mo »

I don't know how to have the two channels share a single stereo insert effect. (as opposed to 2 mono inserts) And I also have to individually adjust the aux sends... which is very time consuming, given the fact that I can't see my settings numerically.
yes, two very annoying points of the bugmixer, creamware maybe should bring out a wider choice of mixing solutions, or at least offer the sp mixer for pulsar users (though i don´t know if that device comes also with these 'faults').
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Seem odd, but you're right, it's working that way. Didn't find this 'features' too usefull either.

Well, sorry to say this...
garyb

Post by garyb »

yep
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

I don't use to defend Creamware but in this matter they are wright, the Big Mixer design is a clone of what the professional hardware mixers are.

You must not think in the terms you see the Cubase mixer, due this mixer has other features, purposes and capabilities.

It was planned from the begining as a virtual replacement of "in line" hardware mixers.

You could criticize the lack of multichannel MIDI implementation , some lack of accuracy in the vumeters or a poor automation system.

But not the type of design, due it's not created for to do what your'r claiming for.

I don't discard that could be very useful for other purpose to have another Big Mixer with the features you need, because is clear that different people give different usage to the device and it can't satisfy everybody.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Right... Protools consoles work in the same way too.. I remember they also had problems with stereo inserts. Every stereo group needed its own stereo bus to send to the effect...

But that's that.. The point is, I'm not really interested whether the bigmixer is a GOOD mixer or not. I can see it's suited for certain situations and is very professionally designed. (with talk backs and other "studio essentials") I'm just looking for an alternate solution. Not being able to comp stereo signals still kills me.

So I've got all the stereo effects before the mixer which works out fine. Not quite as 'smart' looking but... well, it gets the job done. Is this how everyone does it?
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

I'm using one free device with 3 stereo and a few mono devices on it.
It also has aux.

One good thiing about it is that if u insert a mono FX, then the channel becomes mono, but if u insert a stereo FX, then u'll be having a stereo strip instead.

(Don't worry about the small amount of channels, u may load up as many mixers as u want to... search for it here, I just forgot the name of it.
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

The easiest way. . .
Just drag the stereo effect (insert or otherwise)into the pulsar environment delete the wires (from source to mixer) and route them throught the effect. its not as cool as right click for insert but it works.
Michaelj

Post by Michaelj »

Is there any god mixers 3dparty
that is for free or for a small dollar.
where there is Eq stereoinserts and Aux
???
garyb

Post by garyb »

how about the stereo insert rack?or how about doing some mixing in the sequencer? just ideas....
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

1.The idea of pulsar is to use the card's DSP's to mix on.

2.Digital desks have stereo tracks.

3.Lots of analog gear have stereo link capabilities.
garyb

Post by garyb »

1.pulsar dsps can do many things including synthetic sounds and running effects.mixing is only part(but maybe a very large part)of their function.

2.so? it's agreed that it would be nice to have stereo or linkable inserts,but ya can't.

3.see #2

luckily there is a stereo insert rack.it's got some features, even.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I heard there was a new mixer coming on Creamware OS 3.0? Not sure if that's true though? Anyone?

Also you should check out the SpaceF mixers. I find myself using the sf-mix4 which is 4 stereo channels of Dynamixer, and any channel you add is mono. I just use like 2 or 3 of these mixers, or Dynamixers for mono stuff, it works great, but of course I also dig SpaceF's new mixer (not exactly what I want but the closest thing out).

You might check out that mixer <a href=http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/forums/vi ... =16&1>over here</a> unfortunately I just realized its only a Demo version. Doh.. back to my SpaceF DynaMixer 4 Stereo's...