Big Samples in Pulsar 2...? (by Cd)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I'm gonna need at least 16 Sample Player instruments, some with large samples(32MB or more for Strings, Guitar, Piano) with an Eq on each + Limiter, Phaser, Chorus, Echo, Reverb all at the same time while recording into pulsar 2 via Cakewalk. Can pulsar w/STS handle 300MB of Samples + FX as described above. Does it support velocity switching and program patch/bank change?

If I were to use GigaSampler with pulsar 2, could I apply Pulsar effects to GigaSamples? How many in practice?

All of the above assumes I have 512MB Ram PIII 700....Can it be done???????

If anyone has done something similar in regard to samples with Pulsar please post an MP3 link.

thanks,
Cd
Chadwick

Post by Chadwick »

Subject: Gigasampler into Pulsar FX

If you're using Gigasampler with GSIF outputs in the Pulsar project window, you just have to route a pair (or more) of the (up to) eight GSIF outputs into whatever FX you need (or use the auxs on the Big Mixer).
Obviously you have to check in the hardware section of the Giga GUI to enable the right number of outputs, and make sure you've wired them in the Pulsar project window.
You also have to assign your Giga instrument channels to the appropriate output bus.

So it's either Giga GSIF output > Pulsar effect > mixer

or

Giga GSIF output > Big Mixer (using auxs with FX wired that way)

Sorry, but I don't have enough experience with this setup to know when the Pulsar will max out.

There's a respondent on the Northern Sounds Gigasampler forum named LHong who seems to have a fair bit of experience doing what you're talking about.

Post by Guest »

Subject: big samples shouldnt be a problem...

I did tests in the past, and noticed that Logic/Cubase + Pulsar each like about 64 megs each, for 128megs total, the OS likes around 32 megs or so (all very rough), so you should have around 256megs or more for loading samples.

I know a guy on the pulsar list (J.Bromley) who has a really large sample set that he uses with Pulsar (was it over 500megs even? Using DDR/AMD system), and has no problems.