Poor PCI performance

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Loshmi

Poor PCI performance

Post by Loshmi »

I have Scope system with 3 cards (15 DSP) and like to use "heavy" plugs like P100 and A100 reverbs. On my new computer (Intel Core2Duo 6700, Asus Commando, 965P chipset, 4 GB RAM, etc..) I have often "PCI overflow" messages. Is there some solution or trick to improve PCI performance on that chipset? Which newer chipset is better then 965 for Creamware users? On my old NForce 3 AMD system, PCI performance was much better. Any suggestion or help, please?
valis

Post by valis »

What is your graphics card? Modern PCIe cards from Nvidia & Ati use horrendous driver settings for PCI latency. Use doubledawg to change them from 248 or whatever to 128.

That motherboard also has quite a bit of onboard devices: Firewire, dual gigabit LAN ports (you only need 1 for a workstation!), 8-channel onboard audio (AC97 implementations eat cpu in use and pci bandwidth), 6 SATA ports and a legacy IDE port. Try disabling what you don't need in the BIOS. Intel's ICH8 is the 'south' bridge on that chipset and has plenty of PCI bandwidth.
sunset070

Post by sunset070 »

I have 3 scope 15 dsp card and core duo e2180 with ASROCK 945gz my Masterverb test is OK ,13 masterverb good on 14 PCI reach,try the test and report here please,I,m very curios,thanks
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

check out doubledawg

http://www.mark-knutson.com

http://www.mark-knutson.com/t3/dawguse.html

Basically it allows you to set the PCI latency of each and any of your pci cards, in this case you would want to increase the pci latency for your scope cards, such that it gives more cycle time to them. You have to reset it each time you reboot, but if I remember correctly you can save as a preset, or even better for a small fee you can buy 'DoubleDawg with Boot-O-Matic' which sets it at boot time so you dont have to run it each time. It has been well recommended here on planetz for pci issues and on many audio forums in general. Has to be worth a try, but also do check your hardware specs too as the others mention

Hope that helps. There are other threads on this forum that relate to itl. Do a search for doubledawg

Good luck