A16 ultra power adapter specs

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

A16 ultra power adapter specs

Post by t_tangent »

Hi all,

Could someone tell me the specs of the A16Ultra Power adapter. I bought my A16 Ultra second hand but the power adapter is not the original and I am wondering if this mightbe causing a few issues I am having with the analog audio outputs, slow sync to scope cards on power on, etc.

I know the A16Ultra has 12volt power adapter, but what are the Amp and Polarity needed of the original adapter. I will order an adapter from SonicCore, but while I wait for it I thought I might be able to test it with an adapter I have that has multiple voltage, and switch that to 12volts, but need the specs before I do that. Thanks for any help
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

well, since mine was at SC not so long ago, the PSU should be an approved one.
it reads on the label (among other stuff):

Model: TSAC-57-122500V
Pri: 230-240V ~50 Hz 0.3A Max
Sec: 12V ~2500mA 30.0VA
Made in China

no hint on polarity of the plug.

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's ac not dc, so there's no polarity involved. a switchable supply that outputs dc will not work. also, the 2.5amp draw is much bigger than any universal supply can provide.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks Kylie. I need to get an official adapter, as I am having all sorts of problems trying to figure out whether my A16 Ultra analog outputs are working properly or not. The inputs seem to be working ok, although a bit on the quiet side, but the analog output seemvery quiet, and when I try to increase to gain to drive the analog output all the bottom row of green led's light up from channels 1 to 16, but the led's for the channel that is supposed to be the input for that signal dont light up any more than the first led.

I read that this might be do do with not enough power from the adapter that was included with the A16U when I bought it. The adapter that came with it is a Netgear one as follows
Input : 240V AC 50Hz 165mA
Output:: 12V DC 1.2A

I guess the first step is to try again with the proper official A16Ultra adapter and if that doesnt work, then to send the A16U to SonicCore for repair.

Just a quick question if I may. As an example, if I send a signal out from Scope to the A16Ultra, lets say a drum loop from a device linked to ADAT A Destination module channel 1, this signal then travels from the ADAT A Destination module (or Z-Link A Destination module if using Z-Link) then I take an unbalanced mono jack to jack cable and feed that from A16U analog output 1 straight back to Analog In 1, then the signal coming back on the Scope ADAT A Source Module input 1 should be exactly the same level signal as that going out. Is that correct. In my case there is a substantial drop in the signal level.

I hope that my description makes sense, and any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks Gary, I just saw your message after I posted, so sorry about that. So, the adpater need to be AC out as well, and obviously 2.5A is alot more than the 1.2 on this adapter, so that could well be what is causing me problems with this.

I spoke to Ralf this afternoon, and briefly mentioned the adapter, but forgot to ask him what the specs were, but anyway, I will be getting an official adapter from SonicCore. Hopefully that will resolve the problems
Thanks again.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

garyb wrote:it's ac not dc, so there's no polarity involved.
now that inscriptions all make sense... :)
a switchable supply that outputs dc will not work. also, the 2.5amp draw is much bigger than any universal supply can provide.
yes, indeed. so it's absolutely recommended to get the original. :D

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, I saw this too late, but there's an easy replacement by a cheapo halogen lamp from supermarket. They have a fat 12 V AC transformer inside... just remove the light bulb :P

cheers, Tom
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Just to say thanks so much for the info. I contacted the guy who I bought the A16u from and he had another look for the transformer, found it amongst all the gabling behind his racks and sent it over to me. All my issues have been solved and the A16U is running perfectly. No more strange LED problems, Analog input is working fine. So yes, the correct adapter is vital for the A16U to run properly. Thanks again for all the help chaps :) A happy A16U user now....finally :)