Mix Templates and much more....

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dejandanilo

Mix Templates and much more....

Post by dejandanilo »

I'm very confused as far as using the SFP goes. I do not know how to use its mixing functions or even to connect anything where I can say that I know what I'm doing, but I would like to learn if possible. Everything seemes so hard and complicated that I really do not know where and how to start. Many thanks in advance on all the help.

Dej@nD@nilo
Lima

Post by Lima »

To answer your question we need to understand what you wanna do...
For example: would you use a midi sequencer? Would you mix some pre-recorded tracks? If yes, wich sequencer/multitrack recorder are you going to use? ASIO or not? and so on...

This card is extremely powerful, and a general answer would probably fill a hundred of threads... ;-)
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
dejandanilo

Post by dejandanilo »

OK, I would like to mix my midi project into audio. I am using Nuendo 3 as my midi sequencer, (used Cubase before) since I think it works much smoother than the Cubase SX3, and I am using the GS3 for my samples with a VST plug-in here and there. I also have the Adobe Audition 2 as my wav program. Now I need to know if I could use my SFP 4.0 to play my VST plug-ins in order to take the load off the computer cpu. I am not sure what you mean weather I use ASIO or not since before I only made my music using a SB Live with cubase and that was it (this is a big change for me). Now things are getting a little complex because there is a lot more to be done with the new set up I would like to use. I'm asking all these questions because I'm not sure I have a clear picture of the whole thing. Many thanks in advance for all your advice and help and sorry for all the disturbing I may be causing.

Dej@nD@nilo
okantah

Post by okantah »

I only made my music using a SB Live with cubase .

you can start with the same way just like using a SB Live with cubase,only you need to be little familiar with the SFP.i recommend you read the manual little bit,scope is giant music making machine,the more familiar you get the more pressure you have.
if wanted it quick way ? contact some one with experienced.if you are in Holland i can help.
success
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

dejandanilo wrote:Now I need to know if I could use my SFP 4.0 to play my VST plug-ins in order to take the load off the computer cpu.
Hiya,
no, you can't use SFP to play your VST plug ins. VST plugins are designed to run on your computer's CPU and they can't run on Scope. One idea is that you might replace some of your VST's with the Synths / Effects that come with Scope, and that will take some load of your CPU.

Conversely, you can make your SFP plug-ins run within Nuendo - they will appear as VST plug-ins, although they are actually running on the chips on your Scope card. This done by using something called XTC mode, where you don't open the Scope project window at all.

Some people prefer working in XTC mode, others like the additional flexibility that being able to route things as they like in the Scope project window gives them.

There are few tutorial projects that come with Scope and a chapter in the manual about these - might be a good place to start.

Don't be disheartened by the complexity of your new system. There's a lot to learn, but the rewards are immense. Start small, experimenting in the project window, ask more questions here, and before you know it it will all become second nature.

Good luck,
Ben
dejandanilo

Post by dejandanilo »

Thanks a million Ben Walker for your advice and help, I will do what you wrote and see how things go. I'm sorry but I just got a little discouraged and frustrated by not being able to know how to work with the SFP. Can you please explain how I can work in XTC mode since it at least seemes like it's a bit less complex....or what mode is better to work in? Once again, many thanks for all your time and help and thanks for the web site as well.

Dej@nD@nilo
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's best to work in scope(sfp) mode! :wink:

i haven't made this speech for a while....

it helps to understand how a real studio works. plugins are just representations of real gear. if you know how to connect a PA system or a tape deck and a mixer, you can use scope. if you don't know how a studio works, that's what you need to lerarn first. go to the library and read an old book titled "how to record on a 4 track at home" or similar. :)

ok, as i said, scope is virtual reality. it helps to understand how things connect in the real world, because scope works in exactly the same way. cubase or sonar or samplitude or logic or whatever sequencer you use is basically just a tape deck. i compare the sequencer to a vs2480 or similar all-in-one digital recorder, except the sequencer records midi as well as audio. in the same way that a vs2480 has built in effects, your sequencer uses vstplugins. in the same way that the vs2480 has a mixer, your sequencer has a mixer. in the same way that the vs2480 has input and output jacks, your sequencer has jacks in the routing window, called asio source and asio destination(the audio jacks) and sequencer midi source and destination(the midi jacks). these must be present in the routing window with the correct number(whatever you need) of connectors BEFORE opening the sequencer. after that, they can be connected and disconnected in any way that you wish, you just can't change the TYPE, or NUMBER of jacks while the sequencer is open because the sequncer checks to see what is available for i/o when it opens and it configures accordingly. in the same way, you might use the multiple outputs from the 2480 to go into a real studio mixer(neve?) and real studio effects instead of the cheesy built-in mixer and effects, you can send multiple outputs(one for each track in the sequencer) into the scope mixer and effects. the wires aren't all over the floor and the gear doesn't take floor space because of the routing window.

the routing window is the room that your equipment will exist in. you can have the card's i/o there(found in the hardware i/o menu) and devices you wish(effects, synths, mixers whatever), as well as whatever software i/o you want. although you can only have ONE asio set(up to 64channels), you can have all the wav source and dest modules you wish(wav can be used by any windows program, this allows you to stream from one program to another like the program is just a hardware device. for instance, media player could be a cd player that plays onto tracks in your sequnecer(multitrack tape deck).

once you begin to see these things as hardware devices and you understand that connecting things is really about tracing the flow of the signal(audio goes OUT of here INto there), this software is not complicated at all. it is just like the real world. it IS deep and flexable and many other things, but not hard. the thing is, in the real world, rackmount studio gear uses dsp chips to work. your dsp chips on the card are the things doing the work. scope is real hardware devices without the boxes, so it's like using EXTERNAL hardware as far as the sequencer is concerned....
dejandanilo

Post by dejandanilo »

Thanx so much garyb for the helpful lecture. As far as real stuff goes,I know how to hook up gear externally. I just need to start simple with hooking stuff in Scope so that I can have a clear picture in my mind and then I can route many different types of setups. Once more, thank you kindly for all your help and educative advice.

Dej@nD@nilo
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure. play with it a bit, you won't break it. :)

basically, you can do anything that you can in the real world, in addition, although like in the real world, only one source can feed an input, outputs are different. one output can feed as many inputs as you like(Y or mult off of the output). there's a brain twister...

it's my pleasure, except for the typing. :wink:
dejandanilo

Post by dejandanilo »

Many thanx, I'll keep you posted on all my results and achievements. :) :) :)

Dej@nD@nilo
dawman

Post by dawman »

Please,
If you are using the VST's inside of GS3, get rid of them. The same FX and even more can be found in Scope. This will take the load off of your CPU and place it on the DSP cards.

They will sound better than the generic VST's anyway. Whenever you hear someone rave about the quality of a VST,i.e.Sonalksiss. It's a remarkable achievement, as few can even come close to DSP cards quality.

You Are Now In Nirvana, You Can Never Leave.