Bank select in Presetlist via MIDI CC?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nosyfred

Bank select in Presetlist via MIDI CC?

Post by nosyfred »

Hi,

there are presets organized in several banks in the preset list. Is it possible to select the desired bank via MIDI CC (CC0XX, CC32XX, ProgChangeXX) by the sequencer?

Any help and advice on the options I have will be appreciated...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i found in the past with Cubase VST (not sure if SX allows this), but you could give each Part a program change, rather than having the program change in the Inspector for the whole track. This way you can create two blank Parts at the top of the track, one with the Bank number, the other with the Patch number. i always find that for whatever reason the Scope synths can't deal with Bank and Prog change in the same message quickly enough.

Also remember that Scope patches start at zero, so adjust your sequencer's system accordingly (it may use 1-128, rather than 0-127). It might help if you tell us what sequencer you are using.
nosyfred

Post by nosyfred »

Thanks,

i'm using cubase vst 5.1 for midi arrangements. if i sent a progchange from a midi-part, then the synth will do it in startup bank of the *.pre-file. if the progchange followed a bankselect (CC0, CC32), the synth changes nothing.

I tried to assign some special CC in the presetlist-window by right click, but there i've found nothing.

Perhaps it's possible to flag the desired bank as default?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

VST 5.1 for is what i use and it works OK. All i do is the following:

Create a blank MIDI Part say bars 2-4 (don't start at bar 1, allow a little run up in Cubase).
Select that part and change the Bank number in the Inspector, lwaving the Program number set to Off.

Create a blank MIDI Part from bars 5-8 (you can use smaller Parts of one bar if you like).
Select that Part and change the Program number in the Inspector, leaving the Bank set to Off.

Make sure Cubase plays through these two and you should see the Scope cursor do its thing on first the Bank, then the Program. You must have them in that order. You may have to fiddle with the Bank select options a bit to get it going. Can't remember offhand what you need to change - maybe MSB and LSB modes - i'll check when i can.

PS. This was all achieved on the Mac version of 5.1 and i'm just starting out on the PC version now, so some things may function slighlty differently.
nosyfred

Post by nosyfred »

Hi, now i've got it!

Parameter value (bank##: 0-127) must be given to CC32 (BankSelLSB) and not to
CC00 (BankSelMSB), like with all my other synths. If CC00 gets the value all
ProgChanges (PC) following will be ignored.

You can program all midi events with list editor in one part (following table
shows). The bank-switch will be completed after PC event!

Value1 Value2 Description
=======================
CC00 0 BankSelMSB
CC32 0-127 BankSelLSB
(atd - ProgChange)
1-128 - ProgChange

Problem: PC with same value as previous PC will be ignored by synth! If only
bank should be switched (same prog in other bank) they have to send another
than desired PC (atd) before.