Creamware makes my PC break dowm

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Hello people
try to explain my problem in English, i hope you'll understand.
Well, i have a new PC P4 3,0; Pulsar, Logic Audio 5.5, Cubase SX
It doesn't matter if I work with LA or Cubase SX
After about 1 to 25 minutes the whole system stopps, that means:
I can't even move my mouse, the sound stops or loops itself. I have to restart.
I don't know if any configuration is wrong but It works well until the "stop" comes
Do you have any idea?
Do you recommend to install SFP3.1 first and then Scope? Does this matter?
I would be very happy for your posts.
Thanks a lot
Greets Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luschrusch on 2005-09-20 07:31 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i don't know anything about PCs i'm afraid, but it might be worth posting a more detailed description of you computer hardware, ie. is the Motherboard ASUS, which model P4C etc. that sort of stuff.

i'm sure the PC-heads will help you out (you don't have some sort of sleep-mode enabled do you?)

Mr A
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Sounds like a MIDI feedback problem. Try inserting some MIDI Monitor module in Scope (assuming you use SFP mode) and see if there's any MIDI message that loops (notes, clock) or Active Sensing stuff.
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi fellas,
I have a midi feed back problem , how do I sort that out. For the rest ok, as long as I don't use midi, but I desprately need it, thanks in advance for your feed back,

cheers,
didier
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Depends on the kind of MIDI messages causing the feedback.

If it's clock stuff, you can add a MIDI filter in SFP to remove the offending messages, or turn off clock-sending in your sequencer on the MIDI interfaces that cause the problem.

If it's notes, you can tweak your MIDI cabling in SFP, like removing the MIDI line that goes back to your sequencer, or filter out the notes on that line.

If it's active sensing, just filter it out with a MIDI filter.

If you send MIDI to some outboard piece of gear, there might be a way to turn off the sending-back the MIDI message causing the problem. You'll have to consult your device's manual for more information about what you can do about it. If you can't fix it there, just fix it in SFP.

Generally, MIDI feedback is cause, for example, when a MIDI device sends a note to the sequencer, the sequencer sends the note back to the device, which re-sends it to the sequencer. The more you add notes, the more notes there are on the MIDI signal path, which will eventually cause a crash. It's alot more "dangerous" with MIDI clock messages, since they can get sent pretty often, and will rapidly clog the path.

The best way to debug this is to load up a MIDI monitor module and check out all MIDI connections to figure out which MIDI messages and which devices are the culprit.

It really depends on how your setup is built, what sequencer you use, and what devices are getting MIDI sent to, so more information about your system will help be more specific.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Luschrusch, to install first 3.1 and then 4.0 is not necessary. If you have collected much free stuff from here or you've made many own patches and preset files, you could simply copy the whole old sfp-folder from another location to c:scope and then install over it.
I tried it and it works.
Luschrusch

Post by Luschrusch »

Thanks a lot for your big answers!
Well I will answer your questions:
I have an ASUS Motherborad
My most used sequencer program is Logic Audio 5.5
It freezes when I use a sequencer
Sometimes immediately before he freezes there comes a call like: Error while trying to synchronize MIDI and Audio...
My MIDI Cabling in SCOPE 4.0 is
Pulsar2 Midi A Source out to Sequencer Midi Dest 1 in
and
Sequencer Midi Source 1 out to every MIDI in of the synths and samplers in my project

How should I link the MIDI-Filter exactly?
And how to turn of the clock sending in Logic Audio?

Thank you for more answers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luschrusch on 2005-09-22 09:51 ]</font>
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi symbiote,

I use cubase SX 2.02 as my main sequencer but it also happen when using any other such as the one that ships with the Edirol PCR-50 , Sonar lite edition that is. My set up is as followed: Pentium IV 3.2 GHz, Intel bonanza as mainboard, two Creamware luna boards and a PowerSampler which is a luna board anyway , 1 GB Ram kingston, 80 gb 7200 rpm hard drive. The problem occurs when playing Power Sampler with a set of sampled drum set, after playing let’s say five minutes, the system hangs after a sound feed back. When playing any synth Minimax e.g there’s no such issue, it only occurs with the sampler. At first I thought it was a problem with the sampler, but when you mentioned the Midi feed back problem I soon realised that that was the problem.
It’s getting rather annoying when you’ve set up a good drum set and all of the sudden everything crushes.
I’d be very grateful if you gave me some advice on how to sort that out within the sequencer and scope, as my main aim is to play the sampler as a drummer,

thanks symbiote for you prompt reply anyway you’ve been so helpful, now I see some light from the tunnel

your fella Z,
didier
garyb

Post by garyb »

turning off the midi echo function, midi clock and active sensing on the keyboard is the first priority. if that is not possible, an external(between the midi out of the keyboard and midi in on the card) midi filter is preferable. if that's not available, then use the scope midi filter between the scope(or pulsar or luna)midi source and the sequencer midi destination. filter midi clock and active sensing particularly.
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi garyb,
I shall make the tweaks and come up with the results, hope to be successful,

cheers fella Z,
didier
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

wich one is the midi echo function on midi filters on sfp?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ARCADIOS on 2005-09-23 04:46 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

there's no such thing on the midi filter. midi echo means that the device's midi out also acts as a midi thru. on the filter, sysex, midi clock and active sensing(especially active sensing) should be filtered.
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi fellas z,

thanks for your replies , however, could we have an illustration on how to set up the filters on Scope, well if that's possible,

cheers fellas,
garyb

Post by garyb »

scope(or pulsar or luna)midi source----->midi filter in. check midi clock, sysex and active sensing on the filter page. flt(filter) out on the midi filter-----> sequncer midi dest(or device).
Luschrusch

Post by Luschrusch »

oh i realized, that my pc may also freeze, when just creamware scope is on (without any launched sequencer)
Not so often but it also happens...
So It don't seems to be just a MIDI-problem
Thats bad!
Hope for your help
garyb

Post by garyb »

what is sharing an irq with your scope card?
go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information and click hardware resouces and the conflicts/sharing and tell me what you see if there's a creamware or scope entry.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

wich asus mb?
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

oh i realized, that my pc may also freeze, when just creamware scope is on (without any launched sequencer)

a friend of mine has encountered a similar problem and the cause was a bad ram module and it was solved with a new ram module.
Luschrusch

Post by Luschrusch »

My ASUS Motherboard is a P4P800-E Deluxe and 512 MB DDRAM (and Intel P4- 3GHz)

Yes it was a problem with the irq, i solved it already, its written that there are no conflicts with other stuff.
Do I have to deactivate the MPU-401-MIDI-"Tool"?

Now it freezes only when the sequencer (Logic Audio) is on. I tried it with the MIDI Filter but it still breakes down.
I found out that even when the Pulsar MIDI A Source out and the Sequencer MIDI Dest are not linked, it freezes with this short repetating sound of my samples...
So MIDI Filter might not be the problem, I think but I don't have any clue.
Is it possible to set a MIDI Filter between the Sequencer MIDI Source and the MIDI in of the Samplers and Synths in Scope?
Thank you for still not giving up helping me
Greets Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luschrusch on 2005-10-13 07:27 ]</font>
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

try some other demanding tasks, such as a demanding game or similar. i suspect this might be something else rather than your scope card.