Irq problem asus P5GDC and win xp

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

HansKadans

Post by HansKadans »

On my Motherboard i cannot assign irq to a certain pci-slot. ( irritating but true)
In xp i tried ev'rything and looked at forums but i see no possibility to assign irq to pci. In system management, in the source-tab the fields to change irq are grey. And i see no way to change that...grrrr

Help??
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, if you're in acpi mode, you definitely can't.

xp handles interrupts pretty well for the most part. unless you have a shared irq you should be fine. if you have a shared irq, you can disable your unused ports and/or devices and/or move the card. is there a problem?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2005-09-11 01:39 ]</font>
HansKadans

Post by HansKadans »

My pulsar II card was shared with the firewire ( disabled the firewire, hm stupid solution but ok.)
My 2nd Pulsar card is shared with the (onboard) networkcard and with a pci-express root port 2662. i cannot turn them off and because the newer motherboards don't have so many pci-slots anymore i cannot move the pulsar cards...
Yes there is a problem
garyb

Post by garyb »

hmmm, poor choice in motherboards for your special cards. i apologize for my poor choice of pointing that out.

are you using the network or firewire while making music? you could disable those things temporarily if so...i hate to say it, but another motherboard might be the best thing. of the newer boards, AndreD at cwa reccomends the asus P5AD2-E Premium. i noticed that you've had trouble with that motherboard for a while, possibly. searching for Andre's post about the P5AD2-E, i ran into one of your old posts....

i remember there was speculation about certain elements in the archetecture of some of these new motherboards on this forum. i think astroman or valis pointed out that since consumers will likely put nothing but vid cards in expansion slots as everything else is onboard(well, maybe a gaming sound card...), the design doesn't really take into account our needs. many are not fit for pci soundcards(they'd be potential trouble with a couple of uads as well).

i'm sorry to have so little happiness to spread in the matter...what is the machine's purpose? are you sure you turned off anything not vital to the machine's mission?
HansKadans

Post by HansKadans »

It's ok Garyb. For now both cards work fine.
I had a lot of trouble though finfing the right configuration.
It's a little frustrating to me that the microsoft and motherboard designers treat us (users) as dum as.
I tried 3 motherboards and i had two buy a newer pulsar card.
But no more nagging. I'm back in bussiness.
RIGHT!