via chipset (by SMU goes on!)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Subject: Listen at me!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I "tolked" to Mr. creamware.....he told me that pulsar has got many problems with chipset VIA apollo,kx and kt..This morning I changed my soyo board with kt133 chipset 'cause it caused me many problems(sync,pci master o.flow ecc ecc).I bought a p3 1000mhz,i hope all will be better.....

Post by Guest »

Subject: oh yes.. no more AMD thanks

same thing here.. i consider a LOT getting n Intel PIII 1000 and a genuine intel board...

I am FED UP to crash my computer 10 times a day, not just with pulsar.. with many many programs, and things... even my USB ADSL modem doesnt work well... i am fed up

this cpu and motherboards are brand new, it sucks..

Post by Guest »

Subject: Agreed with you at this point!

Surely the Asus CUSL2 has better USB interface protocol. Sorry, we just taking about the Creamware's products and in case, we currently own the Athlon-CPU then there is a solution (save some $$$). You are right! when we want to build the system from scratch, we shall consider the CUSL2 Mobo as Creamware recommended. No doubt about it.
Peace

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Agreed with you at this point!

Asus CUSL2 Mobo

is this board for Athlon? How much is it?
Thanks for helping

Post by Guest »

Subject: No, it's for PIII

No the Asus Cusl2 is for PIII ($120~$145)
The Aopen-AK72 for the Athlon about ($90~$120)
Sorry, I didn't make it clearly.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: No, it's for PIII

I think i'll buy the combo:

Asus Cusl2 + PIII 1Ghz CPU

no more damn crashes or USB drops.
Finally

one more question... is it easy to diable the on-board video and sound?

Post by Guest »

Subject: CUSL2-C is what you want!

I think the "CUSL2-C" is what you want! there is no built-in Video neither Soundcard, even you can save about $20 or more. That's what I have.
Good luck
Here is the price list in Ca, USA. Just an idea, you can get somewhere cheaper, I guess. it's about $135.00 (mo) + $335.00 (PIII-1Ghz)

ASUS MotherBoard
A7V Pro Socket A 133 w/o Audio..........$135.95
A7V133 KT133A Socket A (No Sound).......$159.95
A7V133 VIA KT133 Socket A w.
Audio RAID UATA/100.....................$169.95
CUBX-E FC-PGA UATA/100 440BX............$129.95
CUR-DLS-U3 Server Set III LE Chipset Dual
w. VGA LAN U3W SCSI........................$699
CUSL2 815E w. VGA & UATA/100............$159.95
CUSL2-C 815EP UATA/100 Socket 370.......$135.95
CUV4X VIA Apollo Pro133A FCPGA w/o sound$119.95
CUV4X VIA Apollo Pro133A FCPGA w/ sound..125.95
P4T Pentium4 1.4 or 1.5Ghz.................$325

Pentium® III processor
- 733MHz 133/256k Flip-Chip...............$195
- 800MHz 100/256k Flip-Chip...............$219
- 800MHz 133/256k Flip-Chip...............$219
- 866MHz 133/256k Flip-Chip...............$225
- 933MHz 133/256k Flip-Chip...............$279
- 1GHz 133/256k Flip-Chip.................$335
Pentium® 4 processor
- 1.4GHz 400/256k w.128MB RDRAM NON-ECC...$599
- 1.5GHz 400/256k w.128MB RDRAM NON-ECC...$795
Javier

Post by Javier »

Subject: Re: CUSL2-C is what you want!

Someone is posting in many places very good experience with kt7a from abit (an atlhon mobo based in the via 133a chipset).
l am using an asus a7v and althought l can make it to have a pci overflow problem (l am using a litle program to adjust correctly the pci buslatency issues theoretically l could do it throught the bios but for some reason it only works if l tweak things throught these program, probably l wouldn´t neeed it but it works so l don´t wasste time searching some hiden option in my bios menu)it deosn´t hapen in the usuual circuntaces l use it (l have a pulsar1 + powersampler +,unrelated to the problem, sw 1000 xg) and l usually run out od dsp power than of pci brandwith.

About general stability using the promise ata 100 h.d. everything works fine, with the standard dma 66 ide l had very low writng process, don´t know why since nobody else has reported it.

About usb l can´t say, l haven´t a single usb device.

Post by Guest »

Yesterday mr creamware told me that pulsar has many problems with via chipset apollo, kt and kx.Now I must change my motherboards 'cause I'm not able to set pulsar as master or slave with A16!!!!!
WHY CREAMWARE NEVER TELL NOTHING ABOUT VIA CHIPSET??????????????????????????????????????
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

Subject: FAQ

This is what "Mr. Creamware" says on his FAQ:

Recommended PC components:

Mainboard: Use a board with a BX chipset (e.g. ASUS CUBX) or an i815 chipset (ASUS CUSL-II)*

*note that boards using the i815 chipset no longer have any ISA slots, and will therefore not be appropriate if you want to use tripleDAT or CUTmaster.

Processor: Intel Pentium III with a speed of 600MHz or faster.

Our software is not written explicitly for multiprocessing, so multiprocessing systems bring no benefit.

In theory the AMD Athlon is also recommendable, but it is found on many mainboards (VIA Chipset) that currently exhibit problems regarding the efficient use of the PCI bus.
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

Subject: Athlon

Anybody experience with the new Gigabyte GA-7DX mobo?

It has the AMD 760 chipset: including the fast AMD 761 northbridge but with VIA's 686B instead of AMD's sounthbridge.

Checkout: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/r ... te_ga-7dx/

Greetingz,
Miguel

Post by Guest »

Subject: It's not Creamware's fault your motherboard sucks :)

Many high-end audio and video solutions which push the limits of your computer have issues with VIA chipsets. It is even stated clearly on Steinberg's (Cubase/Nuendo) front page.

In video recording and editing forums, I've read about people having problems trying to record through their fireWire card, since the VIA chipset PCI arbitration scheme has been implemented VERY poorly in the past. This is not something you'll notice with casual use, or even gaming.

However, things are looking up (finally, after years and years of bad chipsets ;) for VIA -- they introduced a new technology called "VLINK" which should hopefully help put them on the same page as Intel.

The Intel BX chipset is STILL solid, 3 years after it's release. Once VIA puts on a single product that remains in my system more than a few months (I sold my VIA boards really quick, since they're junk for my purposes), THEN I will consider buying one (and man, I really want an Athlon, but VIA has been a thorn in my side in the past).

I'm looking forward to seeing VLINK results, because at this point, the Athlon CPU is the best on the prosumer market.

Point your frusteration instead at the person you bought the computer from ;) I bet you didn't mention you would be using it for a high-end Digital Audio Workstation, now? :)

Post by Guest »

Subject: WORKING athlon motherboards..

im interested also, because the Abit KA7-100 i already have IS NOT GOOD, i have crashes all the time in most applications.

I want to throw this one away and buy a brand new one.

I considered many itmes throwing away my Athlon 900 CPU and th emotherboard to replace them both with an Intel PIII 1Ghz and a motherboard (which motherboard by the way?)

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re :WORKING athlon motherboards

http://www.aopen.com/products/mb/Pak72.htm

Before you jump to other conclusion (PIII-system), try one more luck. I own both ASUS-Cusl2-C (933MH-512MB@133) and Aopen-AK72 (1Gh-512M@133), they all work about almost same functionality. I want to say the Athlon would works better in term of reliability, when there is no IRQ-conflicted, it would runs 24 hours with pulsar and Seq/MIDI. However, it's also truth that you might have some problem with PCI-OverFlow with the PulsarI hardware at sometimes when you use more than two third-party Reverbs, but it's not really happened on the pulsarII or Scope-SP, I'm currenrly having five reverbs without a problem (Don't know why, maybe the difference on hardware design?).
Hope this helps,
Long