DSP questions (by lillos)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Hi all!
I would like to ask some questions about the Creamware products.
I’m trying to figure out if it’s better to do all the composing, mixing and mastering inside the pc or it would be better to lead the signal out of the computer to some hardware sound processing devices. The goal is to have the most loud, clean, undistorted signal possible and then burn to the cd. I’ll give an example to explain better what I mean. Say I work with a software like Reason. I would assign all different softsynths, softsamplers etc to different channels in a creamware mixer, lets say that of the LUNA II. I would then add the effects, compressors, equalizers etc that I want, to every different channel of the mixer and to the master. When I would be satisfied with the quality of the sound that comes from the LUNA mixer I could record the song say to Soundforge and that would be it. The recorded .wav would be the final mixed and mastered file unless I would go for further processing. I’m I right? Like I understand it, this way should be the best since no AD/DA conversion took place and the signal was from its very begining till the end into the digital domain.
I guess for you people this is an easy question, but not for my stupid head. Can anybody please explain this matter?
Another question, recording into Soundforge the output of the Luna mixer with the added effects does it involve any AD/DA conversion or not since its recorded internaly?
Finaly, is there a limit in how many effects one can add to the Luna mixer, other than the power of the dsp? I mean, can I put an equalizer on my first channel on the mixer, then the same type of equalizer on the second, third etc?

Thanks so much!!

Post by Guest »

Subject: re...

-->Can anybody please explain this matter? <--
yes, you can do like you wrote, no problem.

-->Another question, recording into Soundforge the output of the Luna mixer with the added effects does it involve any AD/DA conversion or not since its recorded internaly? <--
no, where should be there a conversion to analogue?

-->Finaly, is there a limit in how many effects one can add to the Luna mixer, other than the power of the dsp? I mean, can I put an equalizer on my first channel on the mixer, then the same type of equalizer on the second, third etc? <--
of course, otherwise "plug-ins" would make no sense.
however, with pulsar there are several things limiting the number of devices you can use, not just dsp-power. also your pc-ram should be enough, cause samples and data for reverb-plugs need much place there. and it´s not wrong, if you take one of the boards with newer intel chipsets, cause their pci-bus is freed of components like usb or ide, so the pci-bus is no limitation...

gruß,
Mo

Post by Guest »

Subject: Thanx for replying man!!