your advice (by gelder)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

hey guys i need your advice,
i'm intending to buy a new machine and replace my old p-ii 400 mhz

i'm thinking of buying p-iii 866mhz with asus cusl2-c (i815 chipset) and all the other shit which is not very important to that discussion.

i heard somewhere that pulsar have problem with via chipset so i decided to walk on the safe side.

my question , does anyone of you has the same configuration ? and if you do are there any problems refer to the motherboard and cpu ?

and another question , how pulsar works with amd and amd motherboards ?

i worked fine so far with my junkie 400mhz so i asume things can only get better but i now pulsar does some problems with some other hardware pieces..

thanx

Post by Guest »

Subject: mobo

I was running an ABIT SL-6 until I fried the BIOS (lousy instructions - yeah, that's it :-) and I substituted an ASUS CUSL-2 for the ABIT. I'm getting the ABIT back, and I'm seriously thinking of retiring the ASUS from Pulsar duty. Not that the ASUS is a bad board (quite nice, actually), but I think the ABIT <may> be just a little more refined - and, no, I cannot quantify that, it's strictly a perception and any difference is extremely small.

PS, the 256M of RAM I have is 100, not 133, so I have not put the ASUS to the full test.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Yeah, Pulsar sux with Via/AMD

As soon as you use more than 10 or 12 busses to asio in 24/96,
you got a PCI overflow error.
I use Abit KT7 raid with Athlon 1000, and,
believe me, it rocks for audio, except those REALLY
ANNOYING crashes. I'm fed up, and , now, I
don't know if I will go on with creamware stuff or go to
RME Hammerfall which doesn't do that...
I'm planning to open a ("little") 32 tracks studio,
and the money I have is not unlimited, so...

I think that a 1300$ board could be a little better optimized for Non-intel processors that are powerfull than
intel's... Duron = PIII, and Athlon is light years among...

Post by Guest »

Subject: setup

everybody says...stay with the cusl2. Why not buy a PIII 1Gig? They're sooooo cheap! Also, if you can, fill up the RAM (512M).

Also, nix the AMD/VIA. Creamware and a LOT of people here have had problems.

EddieK

Post by Guest »

Subject: thanx :)

i'm certainly gonna fill up the ram it's price is better than ever , thanks for your advice.

Post by Guest »

Subject: which 400mhz-cpu do you have?

what board/cpu do you use now? 400mhz you say?

well, i´m fine here with pulsar2 on a bx-board with pentium2 @ 400mhz and 256mb ram (ok, i´d like to have more ram)...