Any SSIII chipset users out there? (by EddieK)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I use a Tyan Thunder2500 with the SSIII chipset. I works quite well...memory bandwidth is amazing. However, I still get PCI overflow sooner than is reported with the ASUS CUSL2. (more than 2 4080L verbs)

Any other SSIII users have any info?

Thanks
EddieK

Post by Guest »

Subject: don´t use the SSIII, but have a question...

--> I use a Tyan Thunder2500 with the SSIII chipset. I works quite well...memory bandwidth is amazing. However, I still get PCI overflow sooner than is reported with the ASUS CUSL2. (more than 2 4080L verbs) <--

that seems like the pci-overflows do not (or not only) depend from the memory bandwidth, like someone told me, but indeed from the pci-performance?
so the new intel (and forthcoming via) chipsets are better for use with pulsar because of their hub structure that frees pci of usb, ide, etc. than those which have higher memory bandwidth (like bx or the serverworks sets)? right?

much thanks for your replies!

gruß,
Mo

Post by Guest »

Subject: Hey Mo!

I believe you're right about the higher PCI bandwidth availability in the newer chipsets. One reason I chose the SSIII is because it has 2 independent PCI busses. The SCSI160 is on a separate 64 bit/66Mhz PCI buss...there's some serious bandwidth there. The Pulsar/Scope cards are on the other buss..at 33Mhz. One BIG reason I didn't go with an 815 MBoard is the 512Meg ram limit. I can't believe Intel did that!!! I like to load a LOT of samples, and 512 is NOT ENOUGH! I have 1 Gig and I can load at least 30 sample players, each with 5-10 voices...without a problem.

BTW, Microsoft has a sys fix for the win98 756Meg ram limit. I've tried it, and had no luck. Has anyone had success with that? I can boot with 1 gig. Above that, win98 wigs out!

EddieK

Post by Guest »

Subject: heard about "crush11" ? (;

hey, seems there is at least one out there, who has similar imaginations about his "high performance audio system"... ;)
if there were a server board with a) 2x pci and b) agp-pro (for the matrox dualhead), well, that could be my next buy... do you know such a board? well, but with which chipset...? which one would be better?

i think that today´s bus system´s won´t really satisfy our (pulsar´s/scope´s) needs, as we drive them at their limit.
i´m quite looking forward to the release of the "crush11" end of this year... nvidia´s socketA-chipset with built-in geforceMX and a new structure (far more consequent than intel´s or via´s design´s for high performance - 6,4gb/s bandwidth between north- and southbridge... ;)
propably i will just upgrade my existing machines till that time...

gruß,
Mo

Post by Guest »

Subject: Crush 11

Mo,
Check this site out... http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1428

This Nvidia chipset sounds cool!

EddieK