cubase crashed, now scope ASIO not working

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dblbass

Post by dblbass »

hello people, looooooong time no post.

my VST 32 5.0 crashed, giving a "Serious Problem" dialogue box, had to be closed with task manager.

Now, Cubase can't seem to connect properly to Scope ASIO drivers in Pulsar v3.01, so no ASIO audio input to pulsar. In other apps (not cubase) Wave drivers work fine.

Its possible that this is more of a Cubase problem, but posting over there will probably only get people telling me creamware drivers are too finicky, so I hope someone here can assist.

In Cubase, Options/Audio Setup/System dialogue still shows "ASIO Scope" in the ASIO Device dropdown, but the button for "ASIO Control Panel" gives no response. I'm guessing I need to re-install something, or fiddle a registry or CSET.ini entry or something, but don't know where to start.

Frankly, two years ago I had a pretty good grasp of most of the tech details when I first struggled to sort out the install and initial setup of my system (Pulsar and Psmplr cards, Pulsarv3.01, VST32v5.0, Wavelab4.0, on XPpro, CUSL2). But everything has been very stable ever since, so I haven't poked into the entrails for quite some time. Now I am not sure where to begin to try to solve this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW, I've thus far resisted moving to SFP or Cubase SX simply because my current setup has been working fine and suits my needs. Too busy right now to take the time to make the switch.
garyb

Post by garyb »

first,try to reinstall sfp right over the old install.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

But backup at least the preset directory before doing that :wink:
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

What about just reinstalling drivers. And if this might do the trick, can I run latest sfp drivers in an otherwise 3.01 install, or should I try to dig out copies of my old 3.01 driver infs?

I'm willing to do a full upgrade to sfp if need be (but note above, where I explained I'm still happy enough for now with 3.01, that is until this problem occurred.)

I last read PlanetZ regularly around the time the first sfp came out, and I recall the usual teething problems folks had with the first release, so I decided to hold off. I presume these are mostly resolved with subsequent releases, especially since most posters these days seem to really like the product.

But as I consider making a switch from 3.01 to the newest sfp version, I'm not sure how to go about it with the least hassle. I haven't been able to find a good post outlining the process. Of course the included CW docs and readmes are pretty good, but what about stuff like preserving my favourite layouts from the present version into sfp, and device presets and the like. And also do I need to download updated versions of all the devices I use, esp third party devices?

My PlanetZ searching hasn't turned up anything to the point on this. Can anyone recall a helpful "how-to" thread on painless upgrading to sfp, which addresses these sort of things so I can do it in a couple of hours instead of a couple of weekends?

Thanks for any help.
garyb

Post by garyb »

to update it might be a good idea to backup your preset and project files first,then just install the new version(run the updater).actually,i have never made backups first and i have never lost anything.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I did as Gary is telling you, and did not have any problems... Nevertheles, we should get used to backup everyting thing even if you are not upgrading... it is saver and you will get all your efforts and hours back in case somethign happens.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Hi,

By default SFP 3.1c will be installed in an own route-folder . But you have to update your hardwaredriver, because the newer SFP needs the newer driver. ( can be done in the system device manager by manually ).

cheers
Ralf

On 2004-02-06 21:46, garyb wrote:
first,try to reinstall sfp right over the old install.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:oops:
thanks Ralf! of course that's true!(it's been a while...)
interloper

Post by interloper »

Not sure SFP is the problem. You might try uninstalling Cubase, using regedit.exe to remove all Cubase or Steinberg keys, reboot, then reinstall Cubase. I would do that first, then fiddle with SFP.
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

I think a will try this first (re-instll cubase) before messing with sfp upgrade.

it is only ASIO driver not working from cubase - and I have no other apps using asio, so it could well be cubase. this re-install seems easier than pulasr.

will report back here. thanks all for ideas and views
voidar

Post by voidar »

If your ASIO host crashes your ASIO drivers will not be unloaded correctly. Either try to restart SFP or your computer.
Kenf

Post by Kenf »

Hi
Once had the same warning message.... then I realised after about an hour I had not turned on my digital mixer and I use that as my master clock. Sometimes it is easy to overlook the obvious.
I would setup a basic project and check all settings carefully... you have probably done this?
Regards
Kenf
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi dblbass,

Regarding the button for "ASIO Control Panel" giving no response, as far as I can remember in Cubase VST, and certainly in Cubase SX this control panel button doesn't do anything with CW cards. It works with some cards, but CW cards their control panel is viewed direct from the CW panel, "set..samplerate" and "set..settings".

If the dialogue still shows "ASIO Scope" in the ASIO Device dropdown in Cubase, are you absolutely sure that there is no audio input into Cubase via the Asio routing? Before you reinstall, check that the monitor input settings in cubase haven't been inadvertently deactivated or something like that.

Definately worth updating SFP to 3.1c though. It's much improved from 3.01.

Good luck, and hope this helps. Correct me if I'm wrong though :smile:
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Check out a free host which uses ASIO (a good example is Plogue Bidule - http://www.plogue.com ) to see if it's Cubase, or the Pulsar ASIO drivers.
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Same thing happened to me when i was using Cubase 5.0 with Pulsar soft 3.0
A friend and i sat here for days trying to fix the problem.

What we finally did was....uninstalling Cubase. Then reinstalling it.
The problem was gone and didn't come back.

Cubase worked like a charm up to the day when i got Cubase SX =)
Though...we still don't really know what caused the problem then...

It could' have been -->
On 2004-02-16 06:47, voidar wrote:
If your ASIO host crashes your ASIO drivers will not be unloaded correctly.....
When Cubase crashed the ASIO didn't unload properly..and it got slightly "brused".
I have had problems here with my DAW.

When having my USB active my DAW tends on shutting itself down.
With SFP and Cubase SX up and running.
So my ASIO gets "brused".

So i have had a few days where Cubase SX wont comunicate with SFP ASIO.
I can se the driver in ASIO device manager...but i get nothing.

After a few reboots the ASIO will work fine.
I now run my DAW with USB unabled, and everything works fine. =)

Good luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was sertainly not edited by: Barry White on 2004-02-18 05:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was definetly NOT edited by: Tom Jones on 2004-02-18 05:47 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2004-02-18 05:49 ]</font>
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

you're right,

sorry, at creamware i work on the whole day in questions like this ( and much other things ).
This is my freetime
On 2004-02-11 21:48, garyb wrote:
:oops:
thanks Ralf! of course that's true!(it's been a while...)