Mac Dual 533 PCI overflow

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I just upgraded to the new dual processor 533 Mac with the improved PCI throughput and 133 system bus and I am trying to get my Pulsar2 2.04 to work

Regrettably, I'm getting the dreaded PCI overflow error very frequently using Cubase 5.0 and using the Pulsar2 ONLY as an ASIO soundcard for 8 ADAT in's and outs. I am only using 2 PCI slots, one for the Pulsar 2 and one for a SCSI card which at this point has nothing attached to it. Firewire ports are empty and the only USB device I'm using right now is the Apple keyboard.

Is there a compatibility problem with the new Macs? I never had this problem with my beige G3 300 while the ADAT outs and many synths, the STS-4000, and effects were being used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Mac Dual 533 PCI overflow

Try swapping the cards. I was getting overflows that was fixed simply by putting the pulsar in a different PCI slot. However, I'm not sure whether the slots would be different types on the Mac. Try it anyway..

Failing this, try removing the other card. -- might be tying up the PCI bus.

Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Still no luck

Tried all 4 PCI slots last night. Still no luck.

Removed everything from the PCI slots but the pulsar II and I still get the overflow error sometimes.

Tried zapping the p-ram and even doing a CUDA re-set.

It has been happening with less frequency, I actually managed to do 1 hour of work before seeing the overflow message last night. On Sunday night it was occurring nearly every 10 minutes.

What's disturbing is that this is happening with only 8 ASIO2 ins and outs via the optical connection. I'm afraid that when I start working on a project with synths and the STS-4000 it will be completely unusable.

According to the Apple tech specs on the new G4: 'The PCI slots are 64-bit 33MHz with enhanced performance capabilities (maximum throughput has been increased from 100 up to 215 megabytes per second).' So why would increased PCI performance mean decreased Pulsar performance?

Could it be the ATI Radeon card in the AGP slot causing the problem? Regrettably, I have no way to test this since I have no other AGP cards to replace it?

Any other ideas? Are there any other users out there who have gotten the new 133 mhz system bus Macs to work consistantly?

I have yet to hear from Creamware Tech Support. I e-mailed them two days ago...

-Michael

Post by Guest »

Subject: what throughput does a mac´s ram-interface have? (notxt)