a7m266 +sts4000 +logic

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I would like to know if anyone have tried the asus A7M266 with pulsar and logic audio.
I currently have a asus A7V with 256MB cas3 ram and a Duron 950 Mhz Processor. Ihave problems using sts4000 with logic and audio.
I wonder if upgrading to A7M266 would solve the "PCI Limit reached" problem ?

Post by Guest »

Subject: Check the Chipset

I you want to stay with AMD CPU, go for motherboard with VIA KT133A or AMD 750, 760 or 761 chipsets.
They all are much better about PCI performances.

Post by Guest »

Subject: interesting...

well, an interesting question - if the people of creamware could tell us about the importance of a fast memory interface versus the importance of a pci-bus freed of ide, usb etc., it would be easier to elect a board for pulsar.

rainer hain (dr.pc from KEYBOARDS) told me that a fast memory interface is far more important (i don´t believe that completely), but one of the people posting here has bought a board with a serverworks chipset (which has an incredible fast memory interface compared to the usual desktop chipsets) and he has still pci-overflows, even more than those people with via-boards.

the chipset used on the a7m266 has the same structure (southbridge connected as an pci-device to the northbridge) as the chipset @ a7v.
so it´s just the memory bandwidth that improves (not that much one could think... but ca. 10% more performance in 3d applications like games might be one or two reverbs more in pulsar - if it would be the memory interface...), not the pci-performance, like on the boards with intel chipsets (i810, i815, i820, i840, i850), where a new hub structure is used. the pci-controller is now placed in the southbridge (called I/O-Controller-Hub, 'ICH'), and freed from all the things formerly connected via pci.
also, the connection between GMCH (northbridge) and ICH now has double the bandwidth (266mb/s instead of the former 133mb/s), so pci overflows 'should not' occur that much...

however... my advice to you: get yourself into the technique of the various chipsets to get out what´s best for pulsar.

gruß,
Mo

p.s. creamware themselves recommend boards with the i815 solano chipset from intel (but couldn´t explain why, when i questioned... strange...) - but i could understand, if you want to stay with amd, just for the better (and cheaper) processors.

Post by Guest »

Subject: 815 has ICH2 hub

which means IDE and the onboard (not expansion) USB ports NO LONGER TRAVEL THROUGH PCI BUS

which is great for pulsar!

greetings

Post by Guest »

Subject: i know. that makes no difference for pulsar.

that´s what i wrote. the difference between ICH1 and ICH2 is just u/dma100 instead of 66, and a slightly differing firmware.

the hub structure, which frees the pci-bus of usb and ide, is among both versions, ICH1 and ICH2.
(of course, the newer ICH2 is more to recommend)