A word of warning!

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DragonSF

A word of warning!

Post by DragonSF »

After the latest (10/16) update of Windows 10, Scope driver doesn't work anymore. New installation gives error -2. If you accidentally installed this update, a rollback works!
Last edited by DragonSF on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Re: A word of warning!

Post by garyb »

hmm-
i had one other user say something similar, but his problem ended up being a riser cable.
he has since gotten it working. there will be a signed driver in the next release, is what i have been told.

are you sure you had sig enforcement turned off? i hate hearing this kind of story, but it's important information. especially if others begin to have the same experience.

i did speak to another user on Saturday who said everything was working beautifully and he definitely is running win10, always internet connected.

i told Holger about the user i first mentioned, when the user still thought it was the update(he ended up reinstalling everything before finding the faulty PCI riser cable!), so he is aware that there is at least the potential for this problem.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:hmm-
i had one other user say something similar, but his problem ended up being a riser cable.
he has since gotten it working. there will be a signed driver in the next release, is what i have been told.

are you sure you had sig enforcement turned off? i hate hearing this kind of story, but it's important information. especially if others begin to have the same experience.

i did speak to another user on Saturday who said everything was working beautifully and he definitely is running win10, always internet connected.

i told Holger about the user i first mentioned, when the user still thought it was the update(he ended up reinstalling everything before finding the faulty PCI riser cable!), so he is aware that there is at least the potential for this problem.
It's the latest update from today (I'm getting the preview versions), which caused the problem (complete new build, took 2 hours for the update). And yes, I had everything setup as required. Everything earlier than today is working (i.e. no hardware and driver problems).
garyb

Post by garyb »

got it.
well, it's not completely unexpected. that's how true tyranny operates. :lol:
i understand though. it's for our own safety in a world of convenience.

ok, we'll keep an eye on this then. perhaps a fix for this issue will exist soon. since you get the preview version, do you report the issue? i don't think microsoft really wants to make an unsigned driver impossible to use, otherwise nobody could develop. perhaps there's another issue.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:got it.
well, it's not completely unexpected. that's how true tyranny operates. :lol:
i understand though. it's for our own safety in a world of convenience.

ok, we'll keep an eye on this then. perhaps a fix for this issue will exist soon. since you get the preview version, do you report the issue? i don't think microsoft really wants to make an unsigned driver impossible to use, otherwise nobody could develop. perhaps there's another issue.
Yes, I reported the issue to MS, but who knows what this is good for. I don't know, what error -2 really means.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Try win 7 and it works
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Marco wrote:Try win 7 and it works
Yes, Scope works with Win 7, but other things don't. I'm mostly a programmer and have to create up-to-date SW for current OS (let's say future-proof SW). So 10 years old OS are not my future anymore.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

You are probably way more competent than me on this issue, but will just throw this in here; If your windows user account contains non standard English letters (as in other letters than A-Z, 0-9), make an account with standard letters and try installing from there.

I am sorry if this is to obvious, but i've seen a lot of "unexplainable" problems solved this way, allthough mostly due to .net functionality. :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Will signed drivers mean we can use ASIO on newer chipsets?

I do the SHIFT/reboot option #7 driver enforcement trick and it always works on new builds if Scope Driver isn’t found.
garyb

Post by garyb »

dawman wrote:Will signed drivers mean we can use ASIO on newer chipsets?

there's a good chance. we'll see...
Marco

Post by Marco »

I use only one pc for music and nothing else, and the most important, NO INTERNET CONNECTION.

I have more than one computer. But I am more a musician.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Will signed drivers mean we can use ASIO on newer chipsets?
Isn´t it other manufacturers use unsigned drivers too ?
AFAIK, RME does still and their stuff works w/ every Win OS XP - Win10, 32 and 64 Bits as also z170/ z270 chipsets, probably x99 and x299 as well,- and all the proc sockets 1150, 1151 and so on.

S|C w/ SCOPE 5.1 and PCIe card based realtime hardware connectivity has a different problem because all was designed earlier and it´s hard to keep up w/ the ultra fast technology progress in computer world when the company is small and might lack some manpower and maybe funds too.
I already mentioned in the XITE subforum, loss in data thruput w/ XITE and when using mobos w/ chipsets mentioned above might be connected to several changes in adress reservations on PCIe bus for M.2, regardless if there are M.2 modules in use or not and I´m not sure about potential fixes in software alone, at least not by driver signing only.
There are too many variables in addition, motherboard design/architecture p.ex..

Yes, a new signed ASIO driver will be good since it makes installation easier and probably fixes some other issues SCOPE users might have.
And software updates adressing 64Bit Windows and some SCOPE devices (WAVE drivers / samplers etc.) are very welcome, but I doubt these are the solution for SCOPE 64Bit w/ XITE-1D or XITE-1 w/ newer chipsets beginning w/ z170 and processor sockets 1151 and later.
There´s some hardware s##t going on w/ PCI express lanes and processor (socket) connectivity to the bus which worked different before manufacturers decided to speed up M.2 to the max.
And now, we have 40GB/sec Thunderbolt 3 in addition and everything wants ressources we better had available for seamless realtime processing.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, but that is why i said what i said. not because of the signing itself, but because it'll be a new driver.

RME's newest products/drivers aren't signed? i think the newest drivers may be signed.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I agree brotha’ man Bud and Gary.

Also notice stripped down Z97 ASRock Server board is the best motherboard I’ve ever used with XITE-1.
I got 2 brand new Z97s as spares any ways, so I’m covered.

But I’d buy anything from S|C anytime, including new hardware if need be.

Over 10 years of making money and having fun from 2 months of my salary.
Best ROI I’ve ever had....
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:yes, but that is why i said what i said. not because of the signing itself, but because it'll be a new driver.
No criticism on your post, gary !
It will be a step,- maybe several ones,- forward when we´ll get a new driver w/ a upcoming release.

But that hardware issue should move into focus too.
Before I talked to my friend (who normally assembles my machines) I never had the idea it might be M.2 causing loss of data thruput.
In fact I always thought what I don´t use doesn´t need ressources and can be disabled completely in BIOS.

OTOH, it´s also not confirmed it´s the culprit, but when it is, it might be a matter how SCOPE and XITE PCIe-card uses the adresses and then there MIGHT be a software solution, may it be a change in the SCOPE application, the XITE-1´s firmware or both.
I doubt we´d need new hardware completely.
Eventually a new PCIe-card and new firmware ... who knows ?

garyb wrote: RME's newest products/drivers aren't signed? i think the newest drivers may be signed.
My experience w/ RME is their drivers were unsigned.
I don´t own any latest RME product though,- but I think a signed ASIO driver makes installation easier but doesn´t fix any hardware connectivity issue w/ the result of limited data thruput when ASIO isn´t in use.

I understood SCOPE 5.1 and XITE-1 show limitations w/ cpu sockets and chipsets beyond 1150 and z97 also in SCOPE (standalone) mode where traffic between XITE and computer host is limited compared to p.ex. 1150 and z97. No ?
So I think it´s not the ASIO driver causing this.
Issues when using a DAW app w/ ASIO streaming into and out of SCOPE are a different story.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:
... stripped down Z97 ASRock Server board is the best motherboard I’ve ever used with XITE-1.
Which board is that ?
dawman wrote: But I’d buy anything from S|C anytime, including new hardware if need be.
Well, when you can afford that, that´s cool.
I myself, I doubt I can afford a new XITE (or whatever it will be) soon,- so I better hope for a solution for the future.

Bud
frokka

Post by frokka »

I also had this problem, but it self-corrected after I went into Playback devices and re-enabled the default device.

I just recently installed Windows 10, so the OS was already in Test Mode (for unsigned drivers.)
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

frokka wrote:I also had this problem, but it self-corrected after I went into Playback devices and re-enabled the default device.

I just recently installed Windows 10, so the OS was already in Test Mode (for unsigned drivers.)
Did you install the current Creators Update for Windows 10?
rhythmaster

Post by rhythmaster »

Hi!

Just for info.

I've installed the Creators Update for Win 10 and XITE-1 is still working properly.

So no issues here.

BR
Harry
XITE-1, Cubase Pro 10.5 - WIN 10 64-bit
http://www.seismofunk.com
frokka

Post by frokka »

DragonSF wrote:
frokka wrote:I also had this problem, but it self-corrected after I went into Playback devices and re-enabled the default device.

Did you install the current Creators Update for Windows 10?
Yes, the problem came after the Creators Update.